Regular gas in S60 2.5T?

I recently bought a 2004 S60 2.5T AWD and the owner's manual recommend using premium 91 octane gas. I read through the engine specs that the compression ratio is around 9:1 and i suspect that regular 87 octane gas should do the job just fine.

The manuel also says somewhere that 87 octane gas is the minimum that could be used.

Anybody out there who is using/has used regular gas with the 2.5T engine??

Thanks,

Jay

Reply to
Jay

why? If you can afford that car, you obviously can afford 91 gas. "Jay" skrev i meddelandet news:r4m1b.19779$ snipped-for-privacy@weber.videotron.net...

compression

Reply to
JohanE

Higher Octane is because turbocharger raises the effective compression ratio.

compression

Reply to
Jack G

The engine "can" ran un the 87 octane, but with reduced power. My father asked the salesman at our dealership the same question about the V70 2.5T. Of course we buy premium anyways, but he was curious.

As one poster said, if you can afford the payments on the car, but can't afford 10 cents more per litre, then you cannot comfortably afford the car.

9:1 compression is about right for a turbocharged engine. The older models of Volvo turbos are like 8.5:1 I think. Their natural aspirated engines are around 10-10.5:1 if I remember correctly.

compression

Reply to
Rob Guenther

"Jay" schreef in bericht news:r4m1b.19779$ snipped-for-privacy@weber.videotron.net...

compression

Do they still sell gas with 87octane in the US?? The lowest in Belgium is 95.

Reply to
Stiefje

They do (sell 87 ocatane in America), the octane rating is apparantly calculated differently in North America than in Europe. I have seen 94 and

95 Octane fuel here, but it is very rare, and pricey. 87, 89, and 91 are our "regular", "plus", and "premium/super" grades, anything higher will be labeled with whatever the brand calls their special high performance fuel.

Volvo recommends 91 Octane in our 960, and recommended 89 Octane in our old

740 16 Valve, our 8 Valve VW only requires 87 Octane fuel, but seems to run slightly better (under extra-normal conditions: heavy load, high speed, hard acceleration) with higher octane.

All these engines have a compression of over 10:1, the old Volvo and VW at

10:1, and the 960 at 10.7:1.

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Use premium. Don't put regular gas in a Volvo.

Ben (always uses premium in my 90 760 turbo)

Reply to
Benjamin Smith

Do the math: Assume 12,000 miles per year, and 20 MPG. That's 600 gallons of gas. At $2.20 per gallon (about what it is in So Calif about now, maybe higher) that would be $1,320. Figure regular gas at $1.90 per gallon, the cost for 600 gallons would be $1,140. So $1,320-1,140 = $180 annually. That's $15 per month. Or $3.75 per week. Give up Starbucks one, maybe two days, and you've got it. Bottom line: it's not worth worrying about. If you can afford an S60, you can afford 91 octane.

HW

Reply to
H. Whelply