Reinstalling intake manifold

I have a volvo 740 GLE 16 Valve. I had to take the intake manifold of to take out and replace the oil trap. I do not know how tight the bolts on the manifold need to be. I do not have a tourque wrench. I tigtened it up intell it felt tight. I do not think I have any leaks. Although how tight does it need to be? How do I know if I made it too tight? Do I have to worry about empansion of the intake? For example, if it is too tight and the intake expands will it crack?

Reply to
austjeremy

That is what I'd worry about. I think it is more of a problem with exhaust manifolds, but the difference in expansion between the aluminum head and iron manifold has caused a lot of broken manifold studs. I don't know the torque for the B230F, but the Haynes manual says 7-11 ft-lbs for the B28 V6 engine. That is a very low torque.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

You need to get a torque wrench to make certain you have the head tightened correctly. To get the specs, you need a manual. You should be able to get both at a chain auto parts store for under $25 total. Have someone drive you to one.

Incidentally, some heads have a specific sequence that the bolts must be tightened in. You should loosen all the bolts until there's no tension on them, then tighten to the specified torque in the specified order (if there is one).

Gary

Reply to
Gary Heston

I think the general sequence for tightening bolts is to tighten the center two bolts opposite each other and then go outward, top and bottom. Do not put the final torque on the bolts until they are all snugged in first.

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Reply to
Jamie

IIRC the 8 valve specs 15 lb-ft torque on the intake bolts. Some of them are tricky to get a torque wrench on though so I just use a standard wrench and estimate, snug but not so tight as to strip out the soft aluminum.

Reply to
James Sweet