Replacing motor mounts on 1985 240 Wagon

I just discovered that I need to replace both front motor mounts on my 1985

240 wagon. I would appreciate any tips on the easiest way to do this. I am curious what the best way to jack up the engine is. It can obviously be done under the oil pan but I wonder if there is some risk of deforming it. Is there a better jack point (or two) for replacing both the mounts?

Does one need to remove the oil filter to get enough clearance to get at the bolts that attach the mount to the engine?

Any other advice?

Thanks in advance.

James Gladden

Reply to
James Gladden

I always used a short piece of 2x4 to jack on under the oil pan. Depending on your tool supply, you may not need to remove the oil filter, but you could always time the motor mount job with an oil change...

Reply to
Mike F

Just did this about 6 months ago on myh '89 240 wagon. Only noticed the need when I went to change the oil filter, and found that there wasn't enough room to do it! Entire engine had shifted to the left, and just amazing that the oil filter hadn't been broken off! As already mentioned, used a block of wood between a floor jack and the oil pan to lift the engine, removed the right-side mount and installed the new one, then did the same on the left side. Not easy, but not all that difficult either... just a matter of leveraging the engine to one side or the other enough to match up the mounting holes and such. Took a couple hours, with the help of a friend. As I recall, the parts were rather inexpensive and readily available at local parts store.....

Reply to
Frank Furter