replacing the antenna mast

I bought a new antenna unit a few weeks ago and installed it. when I did, I discovered that the plastic to push up the mast was broken so I ordered a new one. Now, to get it in? do I need to take apart the unit like I did while experimenting with the old one, in order to feed in the plastic? or can I just feed in the plastic with the antenna unit installed? is there a play by play description of this task to make my life easier?

and, does anyone want to buy the motor unit that was in my car, and functioning, but I didn't know it because the antenna mast was torqued and stopped retracting? turns out that the motor unit turns off after awhile, which is a good thing because otherwise the motor would burn out, but I didn't realise that until I bought a salvaged unit and put it in. Oh well. Live and learn. I'm no Volvo mechanic. :-O

Kate, 1991 Volvo 745, vandalised in Downtown Denver today, of all places!

====Kate,

Mom to Ursula (8.5), Sage (6), Benno (2.7) Science is not belief,but the will to find out.

Reply to
Kate

If the plastic is broken then you need to take the motor apart to get the broken piece out. Otherwise it's a simple matter of making sure that the motor thinks it's in the up position (radio on, antenna switch in proper position), then feeding in the mast as far as it will go. Have a friend turn the radio off (or work the switch) and the mast will feed itself in. Don't worry if it doesn't go all the way. Put in the sleeve and put on the nut. Work the antenna up and down.

Reply to
Mike F

Hi Kate, I just replaced the mast on my '88 745 Saturday. Here are some tips:

I found that on my wagon, I had to remove the silver metal tube into which the old bottom mast section section is anchored. This is done by:

  1. Remove the chromed nut at the base of the mast.
  2. Remove the vertical, upper, left rear plastic panel by the tailgate to access the silver tube.
  3. The silver metal tube has 3 things connected to it. 1) Radio antenna wire that leads to the radio. 2) Black plastic pipe into which the white gear retracts. 3) Clear plastic pipe - maybe for water drainage. I pulled the silver tube down & out, but maybe you won't have to, however you do have to disconnect it at its base by removing the 2 Phillips screws.
  4. At this point, I pushed the old mast DOWN through the tube to remove it.
  5. Put the new mast UP into the silver metal tube & the white plastic gear down into the smaller black plastic pipe.
  6. Now follow the advice at the above web sites for retracting the gear.
  7. Replace everything you took apart.

Good luck. Jay

Reply to
Jay Epstein