Req: Help on: 1988 240 DL Will Not Start

I drove my 1988 240 DL to the store and when I tried to start it again, it would not start. The starter turns over just fine. Once, I had a problem with the fuel injection relay, and it behaved the same way. Can anyone tell me if this might be the problem, or how to test it? I have a circuit tester, but I am not sure which is the injection relay. What other problem might this be? It happened out of the blue, with no warning.

Reply to
Monobrow

You need to find out whether it's fuel or spark related. Check for spark at the plugs, then work your way back if necessary. If you've got spark then check your fuses for your fuel pumps and pump relay. Make sure your primary pump(located under the car on left side, just in front of the rear wheel) is working. Spin the fuses around a little or lightly sand the areas of contact, sometimes it's this simple, if you're lucky. I've got an 88 240 and my fuel pump relay is located under the dashboard on the passenger side. It's white plastic, maybe about 2"x2", it's clipped in up under there(you can get to it from beneath). It might be getting juice and still not be working, I don't know how to test it. If everything else seems good, it might be worth a try to get another. It could also be timing-belt related, hopefully not. Just my 2cents, hope it helps out.

Reply to
mw156

If you pop off the plastic cover of the relay and look at the circuit board the problem is usually pretty obvious. The solder cracks around the pins that go to the connector on the bottom, anyone with a soldering iron can heat it up and add a bit of fresh solder to get it going again.

Reply to
James Sweet

Thanks, bro...good info, I would not have thought that you could revive a toasted relay. Hey, a quick question, in this thread I said to check under the dash(passenger side) for the relay, completely forgetting the many Volvo posters from U.K. and such (my mistake). Would more or less everything be reversed? (fuse box,relays,ect...) I guess they would even need to reverse the OD button on the shifter too!

Reply to
mw156

I have another suggestion. If this is a fuel problem ! After checking he fuel pump relay, if nothing seems wrong you might want to jump fuse 4 and

6 together with a wire and see if the relay or pumps work. I do hope this is te right fuses as it has been a while since I had to do it. Then if everything seems good there the next thing is to check the CPU located in the kickpanel of the passengers side ( right side). Now if memory serves me folow the green and yellow wire from the relay to the CPU. I again hope it is green and yellow. Anyway it is a ground wire coming from the relay to the CPU. Take a jumper wire and ground this wire. This will make the pumps come on with the key switch in the run position. If that fixes it then either replace the CPU (expensive) or leave the wire grounded to the body, it will only operate the pumps when the key is in the run position. Unless you sit around withthe key on all the time this should not be a problem.. Good luck.. MAX
Reply to
Maxspeed

I just sent a reply but it seems to have gotten lost. Anyway if it is a fuel problem jump fuses 4 and 6 with a wire, this will activate the pumps. If that fixes it then you have a bad relay, more that likly. But then again it still could be another problem. If the relay is good then I would check the CPU. Passengers (right side)kickpanel. Look for a ground wire( green and yellow i think)Coming from the relay to the CPU. Ground this wire with a jumper. If the car starts then you have a bad CPU. Either replace the CPU or leave the wire grounded. It will only activte the pumps in the run and Start positions. This is not a problem if you are not prone to sitting around with the key in the run position.. Good luck.. MAX

Reply to
Maxspeed