resoldering circuit boards

About a year ago my '92 960 started a wierd deal. It would die while driving but then restart after 10 or 20 attempts, then run fine. This would happen infrequently, maybe once a month or sometimes several times a day.

I couldn't find anything wrong. No codes and of course it never acted up while I was working on it. After getting advice from this group I resoldered the circuit board in the fuel pump relay. The car ran fine for about a month, then started the same thing again.

After a few months it got worse. It would die almost every time I drove it, usually 2 or 3 times in a row, then run fine.

I took the fuel pump relay apart again and found cracks in the soldered connections that I had previously resoldered. The first time I did it I didn't add any solder to the connections, just melted the solder. I guess that was a mistake. The solder connections were paper-thin and recracked. This time I added a drop of solder to each connection. So far, so good.

So, if you resolder a circuit board, add a little solder to each connection. Of course, don't use acid-core solder and be sure to get the connections hot enough for the solder to flow freely but not hot enough to burn the circuit board.

Steve Elms

Reply to
stevee

That is a common problem and a solution. Do not be shy on solder. The relay armature carries current and its mounting pins often fail. When I do this I also clean the contact lightly with fine grit abrasive paper. You can glue two pieces of abrasive back to back and cut a stiff sliver which will work like a small file.

Regards,

Boris Mohar

void _-void-_ in the obvious place

Reply to
Boris Mohar

Yes, you should always add a bit of solder, the flux cleans things up and allows the solder to flow. If the old stuff is really crusty, remove it with some desoldering braid or a sucker and flow new stuff.

Reply to
James Sweet