reviving an S122

long time friend wants to make his 67 122s roadworthy and needs a bunch of parts. my garage-from-hell holds parts from all the 10+ volvos i've lived through from 544 to recent 240s... i cannot remember the combatible parts betwixt the 122 ('64) and my 140's (68-72)... is there a rule of thumb here? (eg Stromberg vs SU carbs), Bosch relays, generators, etc. i'got loads of olde (junk) parts i'd gladly bequeth my friend, but do not remember which parts are interchangeable... e.g. non-auto radiators, light switches, heater switches, mechanical fuelpump... etc...

ya, i know how to buy on line (or eBay) for parts, but i gotta bunch of stuff in my way-overburdened garage to first empty out. so far, my only intuitive solution is to box everything and UPS it to let the receiver figure it out (that's mean!)

js

Reply to
AND Books

Perhaps you should go to a wrecking yard and study a 122S to your heart's content until you know the answer. Poke, prod, inspect, tear into it. Nothing like a trip to the wrecking yard to pick up your spirits.

Reply to
zencraps

snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net wrote: : Perhaps you should go to a wrecking yard and study a 122S to your : heart's content until you know the answer. Poke, prod, inspect, tear : into it. Nothing like a trip to the wrecking yard to pick up your : spirits.

thanks!

total agreement. i've spent many daze scruffing through yards... pocketing fuses, bulbs, knickacks, and boxing miscellaneous for $10-20/box... (just don't do it on Fridays... owner must meet payroll and bumps the charge 30-50%) i understand... only reason for post is cause i've forgotten very much of my 122 days... then, things we're simple... now it's way more precise... the mass-air-meter, the Jet-whatever computer, the CO, the fuel inject manifold and all the rest... then it was a Part, which was identifiable at a glance... i've rebuilt alot of 140, 240 stuff, but am at a loss of the interchangeability betwixt the 122 and the 140 of which i got alot in my garage... just looking for a simple rule-of-thunb about the basic stuff... like the Bosch voltage regulator, the water pump pulley, the mechanical fuel pump (did 140s ever have em?)...

again thanks for your suggestion, but before field-tripping to a yard i'd rather explore my nightmare garage... too much tyme has expired for me to remember what comes from what...

Reply to
AND Books

There is a generational gap between the 122 and the 140 models, especially when fuel injection was introduced in 1971 142-E. The SU carburetor on the

122 is an HS-6 and the 140 did eventually revert back to an SU, but this was the HIF model. Some of the B20 engine parts are interchangeable with your friend's B18D. I once installed a B18 starter in my '71 145-S. The suspension is totally different and the brakes as well.

I would gladly pay the shipping on any surplus 544 parts you may have. My web site and contact information is available on

Best of luck... Cam

1953 PV444 "E" #54940 10,840 km 1953 PV444 "E" #61576 1960 P 120 Amazon #046279 3,270 miles 1980 262C #6618 244,845 km 2004 XC70 AWD 53,511 km

Reply to
RiverLink

IPD puts out a catalogue that would have some photos of parts for your make and model; it could be a partial reference / starting point. Their online website also has some photos.

Not many, though.

Reply to
zencraps
  1. Starter motor from 140 and 240 can work on the 122. A starter from junk yard is much cheaper than rebuilding the old starter.
  2. '67 122 had a unique brake system not continued in '68. I don't remember which parts, exactly, but something to watch out for. It may not be a big problem to swap in the parts from a '68 or later.
  3. The dual carbs from several years before and after can be swapped. Double check the bolt-on holes arrangement in the intake manifold.
  4. The B16, B18, and B20 blocks mounting are identical, and all can be swapped, depending on the best condition/least miles/best performance candidate you have lying around.
  5. The mechanical fuel pumps are mostly interchangeable from various years. All you need is enough to keep the fuel bowls in the carb resorvoirs filled high enough for intake vacuum to suck in the fuel.

Get a Haynes manual. Talk with the very customer-friendly folks at IPD. I think Shane is the designated "round body" expert. Your friend should enjoy this vintage classic rebuild.

Reply to
Pat Quadlander

thanks plenty... that's the kinda info i was looking for...

like olde studebaker trans/brakes work on 544 and 122! :)

nice!

thanks again

Reply to
AND Books