right drive vs. left drive

I'm thinking of importing a Toyota Townace 5-spd, diesel from GB to the US. I'm wondering how difficult it would be to adjust to the left drive.With right drive you brake & gas with right foot, clutch with left. Is left drive the exact opposite (brake & gas with left & clutch right)? That could get really mind boggling.

Reply to
solarsell

The conversion to driving on the "passenger side" isn't all that difficult. Mail delivery guys do it all the time. However as others mentioned, you should check into how much it will cost to bring the car into compliance with U.S. standards for safety and lighting before putting the car on a boat. I'm less clear about whether there are special emisisons standards for diesel engines, but you should check that out as well.

Reply to
Roadie

It isn't terribly hard to get used to, but it sure feels weird the first couple times you ride in or drive one.

You might have a real hard time getting the car legal in the US. Right off the bat you'll need to find replacement headlights since the RHD beam pattern is different. Do they make a LHD version of the car for other European markets?

Reply to
James Sweet