Rod bearing noise ?

My 89 240 started making noise while I was driving a few day ago. Sounded like a ticking sound not knocking, but close. I started to see some oil smoke from under the hood, I pulled over and the oil was gushing from the front of the motor.(I had no upper front timing belt cover on it) Yesterday I found that the intermediate shaft seal was hanging in front of its hole, only held in place by the gear. I changed it and the front cam seal and timing belt while I had it apart. Filled her back up with oil and its still ticking/knocking. Not extreme, but I suspect its the rod bearings. Looks like these wont be too hard to replace after dropping the pan. Could this be anything else (mains ?) and how safe is it to drive it short distances in town for the next week. It 5 minutes to work each way for me at

35mph. Also what brands of rod bearings should I look at or avoid, and who has the best online pricing ? Thanks again for any advice and or suggestions, Jack in Dallas
Reply to
A Very Old Kid

Did it lose oil pressure? You don't mention anything about the oil light, did it ever come on? Don't forget to eliminate all the external causes of the ticking you can think of before you tear into the engine. Dropping the pan is a bit of a pain, you have to lift the engine up a bit. If I were in that position I'd look into getting a low mileage motor from a junkyard if it is something internal, but they're only $140 here. If it lost oil pressure there could be other damage and if intent on keeping that motor it might make sense to get a full rebuild.

Reply to
James Sweet

Oil light hasnt worked since I got this car. Ticking sound isnt a knock yet but it seems to be coming from within the motor. I am babying it until I can do the rod bearings but if i put a load on it the noise gets a bit worse. It's just noticeable when driving. I dont have the money or time at the moment to drop in another block, so it looks like I am going to have to do a bearing job on it for now and hope for the best. When I topped it off after the seal job it was about 2 1/2 quarts low. Lost a lot of oil when the shaft seal blew. Thanks James, Jack in Dallas

PS - any recommendation on bearing brands ? Glycol seems to be the cheapie that the online dealers stock now but Ive never heard of them.

Reply to
A Very Old Kid

That's not cool, that means you very likely did lose oil pressure, can't help you with the rod bearings, never had to replace them, but it's very likely you have some head damage too, I'm surprised the camshaft didn't sieze. The oil light circuit is very simple, I suggest you fix that first, it's just a pressure switch that grounds a wire to the bulb.

Reply to
James Sweet

I have found that when you have a knock that gets louder with a load, it is generally the main bearings. Rod bearings get louder on decelleration.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. That engine is still worth throwing some bearins in, though. IMHO

Bernard

1987 240
Reply to
Bernard Farquart

Thanks for the info guys. I ordered a set of rod and main bearings yesterday. I also got out an oil pressure gauge to put in the dash.

Reply to
A Very Old Kid

What's wrong with the warning light? Does it come on when you turn the key on before starting? If so then check the wire to the sensor switch, if the wire isn't crumbled off then check the switch, it's cheap. If the light never comes on then it's probably simply burned out, the dash indicator lights are easy to replace. Never hurts to have a guage I suppose, but there isn't a good place to install more guages on a 700, at least not on the Turbo models, they came from the factory with every spot filled.

Reply to
James Sweet

New bearings the wrong size will be worse than bearings worn a few

0.001s inch out of spec.

What if your rod journals were ground 0.010 undersize once upon a time? Talking, looking and wishing do not replace measuring.

It is criticaly important to check the as-installed bearing clearance by some means. Plasti-gage is one way. < $5

Reply to
djtcz