RPM gauge volvo 240

Hey this is the first time i have ever used this news group thing. I just found it in my outlook express. I dont know how many of you go on the the Tbricks forum but i thought id give this a try as well.

I was at a junkyard today and found a mid 80s 240 with a RPM gauge in the back seat. the cluster had been ripped apart for the gear for the odometer ( i was looking for but someone already got to it) I was wondering if it was possible to put this in my 91 240 in place of the not working clock. Also were is the sensor for it in the engine bay????

Thanks

Reply to
Kyle Christensen

There are 3 electrical connections on the back of the tach. The blue/red wire goes to the #13 8 amp fuse, the center wire goes to the black wire that comes off the distributor, the third wire is ground.

The sender is the pulse at the black wire on the distributor. It's an electronic tach.

Brick_0

Reply to
Brick_0

If you just replace your clock with the tach it will draw power from the pins on the cluster and there is a red/white wire in back of the cluster to attach to the #1 termnal on the back of the tach. If the small clock is there grab it and the harness which will plug onto the 3 terminals at the top of the tach. These small clocks have an illness in some (most?) of them caused by bad capacitors, finding a good one is about a 50/50 deal, if the yard offers a guarantee for an extra buck or two it may not be a bad idea to get it on the clock, I've never seen a bad large tach. Cheers Dave Shannon snipped-for-privacy@cox.net (Spring Valley CA)

1988 240 DL 18X,XXX 1985 240 Ti 20X,XXX 1984 245 DL 20X,XXX 1984 245T 19X,XXX '01 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 10K
Dave Shannon

Yea i saw that wire and was wondering about that. And i already looked for those smaller dash pods that are to the right, and they were all riped out. Whoever went in there to get parts must have used a crow bar. The entire dash was ripped apart. In fact there were 2 gauge clusters in the car but one was from a 82 242 next to it.

Thanks again.

Reply to
Kyle Christensen

Sorry, I forgot to mention Volvo changed the face colors of the gauges, there will be a small difference between a mid '80s tach and the rest of the gauges on your '91. Dave Shannon snipped-for-privacy@cox.net (Spring Valley CA)

1988 240 DL 18X,XXX 1985 240 Ti 20X,XXX 1984 245 DL 20X,XXX 1984 245T 19X,XXX '01 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 10K
Dave Shannon

Wont be a prob if i get those white faces. :)

Reply to
Kyle Christensen

If you have a bad small clock I can fix it, it's not hard at all, I'd install brand new capacitors in one for probably $20.

Reply to
James Sweet