"Running in" in new Volvo with diesel?

Hello,

I am to receive soon new V50 with 2.0 diesel. From older cars I remember that other producers were suggesting more delicate driving for first thousand or more kilometers (e.g. without driving with high speeds etc). In the Volvo showroom I was told that this is not the case with V50. I am little sceptical about it. I don't have experience with diesel. Can you tell me according to your experience should I apply "running in" period and what should I do?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Rafal

Reply to
Rafal

The most important points are to check the oil and coolant level very regularly, especially the oil. Modern diesels are known for having abit of a thirst for oil, especially whilst bedding in.

Secondly, make good use of the gears and especially avoid letting the engine labour at low rpm.

Thirdly, and equally as important as 1 and 2, dont drive it too gently. When fully warmed up, drive it hard, especially for the first 2000 or so miles, but immediately you take delivery. Make full use of the rev range and reach

4000rpm at least acouple of times a day.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Ah, wriiten on the 1st ao April?

Pieter

Reply to
Pieter

Hi,

Hee in The Netherlands a lot of people drive diesel. Diese uses less fuel, give a much better mileage and lives longer.

What you need to do is drive somewhat more gently when the motor is cold. Certainly the first 5 to 10 kilometers (1 mile = 1.6 kilometer). No need to be extra careful, just don't push it as long as it is cold. Dont make high revs, dont make low revs. Certainly not the 4000 rpm suggested in another posting. Diesels drive nicely from 1500 to 2500 rpm, the Toyota Hiace 2.4D I have even lower. They have much torque in the low rpm's, there is no need to make high revs (though they can). You will notice this when driving in the mountains.

Your showroom is right: Modern motors are indeed much better than old motors. If you have a normal (and not a fast) driving style, there is no need to make a change. Be sure to exchange the oil in time, and check the level on a regular base.

Wearing out motors is in average 80% due to driving with a cold engine. So take it a bit easy when it is cold, and it will reward you with a long life. Toyota, Peugeot/Citroën (PSA), and Mercedes diesels over here all can easily do over 300.000 miles when driven normally. I have no experience with Volvo, does it use its own engine or the PSA?

My old peugeot 1.9D did 200.000 miles and the only reason I sold it was that I needed a van. My uncle did 375.000 miles with a Peugeot, but he is a careful driver (not slow, just careful). I think that the Toyota engines are the best ones, Mercedes is very good too.

Pieter

Reply to
Pieter

Pieter, V50 uses Ford diesel which is a very lively unit and can be driven like a petrol car, but when driven carefully, with six gears you cannot go wrong. It pulls very well from around 1250 rpm up to over 5,000 rpm but is very torquey from 1250rpm to 3500 rpm. A very nice handling car (with the renowned Focus platform), very sure-footed and very easy to drive, even for the first time.

All the best, Peter.

700/900/90 Register Keeper, Volvo Owners Club (UK).
Reply to
Peter K L Milnes

Hi, Ford has a good dieselmotor. Isn't very low in usage, but will not give problems.

For normal driving a diesel does not have to go over 2500 rpm.

1800-2000 rpm is the best.

Regards, Pieter

Reply to
P.

The 'HonestJohn' website gives this advice, which I found for my dad who's just taken delivery of his S40 1.6D (which is very nice by the way).

"For the first 1,000 miles do not exceed 3,000rpm, but make sure you reach

3,000rpm regularly. For the next 1,000 miles (to 2,000 miles) do not exceed 3,500rpm, but make sure you reach 3,500rpm regularly. For the next 1,000 miles (to 3,000 miles) do not exceed 4,000rpm, but make sure you reach 4,000rpm regularly. For the next 1,000 miles (to 4,000 miles) do not exceed 4,500rpm, but make sure you reach 4,500rpm at least a couple of times a week. After that, no limit, but make sure you continue to hit 4,500rpm through the gears several times a week. The benefit of this is it helps to self clean the injectors, it blows any accumulated soot out of the exhaust system and it helps to free off the piston rings, making the engine more efficient and less likely to use engine oil."

Androo

Reply to
androo