running rich

My wife's 240 is running very rich about every 3or 4 months I have to replace the spark plugs. I've already tried replaceing the air flow meter, no help It runs better with out it pluged in. Not that its that much of a big deal due to the fact that even after a year or more of driving we still have less then $250 tied up into this, even being a daily driver. What I'm thinking is if I could lean it out some it might get better gas milage , I have no clue what the mpg is, but I know that its not what it should be.

any thoughts?

Reply to
Kafertoys

What year is the car?

Reply to
Mr. V

You'll have to let us know what year the car is, there were several different engine and fuel system combinations used in 240s over the years.

If it's pre-'88 and has the original engine wiring harness, replace that. The coolant temp sensor for the ECU (there's a separate one for the gauge) is also suspect. Fuel pressure regulator is a possibility, but usually they run lean when those go bad.

Reply to
James Sweet

its an 9/88 240 gl whats funny is none of the parts stores say it exist or have a listing for it.

Reply to
Kafertoys

All 240s have a distributor, doesn't matter what year. '88 and later the timing is not adjustable as it is controlled by a crankshaft sensor. The distributor only points the spark to the correct plug.

Reply to
James Sweet

oh look my cyber stalking freaks are here

Sorry all this person needs to get a life.

Reply to
Kafertoys

Please see rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled - multiple threads . The entire VW world wants him off Usenet after he's ripped off several people. Not one person will have anything to do with him on Usenet. You can see Mario on camera for yourself here:

A local newscrew did an investigation on him. He ran away and hid.The guy is a real scum. Thanks.

Reply to
Meyer

Mario Gavazzi, aka Kafertoys has been banned from all of the major Volkswagen forums because of his fraudulent dealings so posts on Usenet because its the only place he can't be kicked off. He has multiple unpaid court judgements and outstanding claims against him in more than one state. We call him "Bondo Boy" because of his shoddy workmanship. We call him worse because of his lack of ethics and the several people we know about for sure that he's ripped off.

Follow the links, and be especially sure to watch the video. There is a mountain of evidence and the documentation is rather complete. Everytime somebody tries to confront him with the facts, he lies about awards he hasn't won and points to tiny pictures that mean nothing. Viewed up close, his work is unbelievably bad. Follow the links for more detail - real, big, easily identifiable and fully documented pictures.

Bottom line: Mario Gavazzi and his wife Sherry Kelly of "Vintage Werks Restoration" in Burlington, North Carolia, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com, are proven thieves and a liars, and you should do business with them at your own risk.

Thanks.

Reply to
Meyer

if you want to waste your time you can find out that the BBB has nothing on my business nor do I or my wife have a chriminal record and these keyboard cowards hide be hide behind fake names so not to be sued for slander.

Reply to
Kafertoys