Rust is contagious

I went over my sons Ford covering minor rust here and there as theres so little paint on joins and seams and sharp edges .This car is just over 2 years old and the thin paint on rough edges just doesnt resist the elements .No paint on the engine block ,flat paint under the hood .My Volvo 740 is rust free and 18 years old my wifes is 20 years old no rust .My sons 240 is rust free at 18 years of wear and tear .We don't have salt on our roads so mainly GM and Fords rust.On a quiet day with clouds over head you can just about hear the GM cars rusting .I think my Volvos will just keep rolling when the Ford is rust bucket even if I do like the features and ride of the Ford its very remote not a car with feeling and feed back .So yes my wifes wants another Volvo later on now we cured the problem with hers stalling (wide spark gap ) as she prefers the comfort and safety as well as the cheaper part prices.

Reply to
John Robertson

Rust isn't contagious, but it is autocatalytic. Rusting is a chemical reaction. The product of the reaction - rust - makes the reaction go faster. Covering over the rust with paint does little good. You need to remove all the existing rust, then put a primer on the metal, then paint.

Reply to
Marvin

About 35 years ago, when cars were made in Sydney (Australia) I once had a guided tour through one of the assembly factories. In the "wet rubbing down" bay, there were workers with large angle-grinder like sanding machines wet rubbing down the primer coats. Wherever there was any sharp corner, all the paint was taken off back to the metal. I guess the final (and only coat on the corners) wasn't rubbed back.

I wonder how much things have changed.

BTW it wasn't the Ford factory.

Baz

Reply to