Rust Removal and painting.

I have a 1988 Volvo 740 GLE that lived in another life in Up state NY and Connecticut. So, it had some salt exposure. There is a few rust spots that are starting to appear. Some are at the front of the hood and some are at the tail gate. I have also faded blemishy paint at the top of the car.

I want to do this on my own probably with some help from my Uncle too.

My questions are:

How to remove the rust? What tools to use? What is the details of the procedure? For paint, what should I do with that? Some firends suggested taking out the rust myself and then giving the car to a shop like Maaco or something to paint it.

Reply to
Hameed

Rust is one of those things where for every bit you see, there's usually twice as much more hiding. Personally I wouldn't even try to fix a rusty car unless it was a rare classic, but then rust is relatively rare here and completely rust-free 80s Volvos are not hard to find. The best option depends on the amount of rust damage, surface rust can be sanded off and filled, rust holes need to be cut out with new metal welded in. For paint, you get what you pay for. You can improve a Maaco job significantly by doing all the tedious prep work yourself, but you're still looking at a couple thousand dollars for a decent paint job that's anywhere near what the car originally came with.

Reply to
James Sweet