S-70 Radio Problem

Hi All

Just bought a 1997 S70 CD. It's been on the dealer's forecourt for a while and obviously the battery has drained/been disconnected, so the radio (it's the SC805) model has lost it's security code. Unfortunately, the dealer doesn't have the security code, and neither does the previous owner.

Is there an easy (i.e. DIY) way around this without having to buy a new head unit, or am I going to have to get it sorted by a Volvo dealer?

Cheers

John

Reply to
John Ellison

Hi there. Lots of places will de-code radios for you, basically they read the code from the radio by one means or another. Some radios have the code printed on the relevant chip inside the radio. It's normally difficult to get to, and you'd need a UV light to read the print. There is an easy way though: I got the code from my main dealer by phoning them, giving them the registration number, and writing down the code they gave me! A bit silly I thought, since I could have been anyone! No charge though. If you pop into the dealer in person, they'll probably be happy to give you the code from their database. Hope this helps. Joe Landy. Peterborough UK. V70 TDI, 233,000 miles.

Reply to
Joe landy

NO

or am I going to have to get it sorted by a Volvo

YES, which is fair and reasonable.

I have no reason to doubt your story - but put yourself in the position of a Volvo owner who has had his radio nicked. The thief is likely to invent a very similar story in order to get it working!

It is therefore very necessary to make careful checks on the ownership of the car and radio before handing codes out.

Reply to
Bonnet Lock

With proof of ownership and identity, your local dealer will give you the code in exchange for the radio serial number - he may just need the registration number though...

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

Thanks for your feedback folks. I'll try your suggestions.

John

Reply to
John Ellison