S40 1.6 Starting Behaviour

I've got a 2000 S40 1.6 and I've a quick question about its starting behaviour.

I've only had the car a few weeks and have noticed that on cold or warm starts the engine will fire and rev for a few seconds up to

1500-2000 rpm then settle down to a fast idle 1000rpm when cold or 750rpm when warm.

Not an issue really but a few times when starting from cold (after it's rained or been damp) it doesn't start first time - fair enough I thought. However when it fires on the second or third attempt the engine will rev straight away up to 3000 rpm for a number of seconds before dropping down again. (And no my foot isn't on the accelerator!)

This can't be good for engine wear going to 3000 rpm from cold, so I wondered if this was unique to my car?

So two questions in one really. Firstly can anyone tell me if this 'revving up when starting' is a Volvo S40 quirk? Other cars don't do it.

Secondly do I need to get it looked at? I've got 6 months warranty on it from the dealer. Or am I just being overly worried about nothing?

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Dan

Reply to
Dan