S40 1.9 TD - Sudden loss of power

Hi,

My usually rock solid S40 developed a total loss of power a couple of days ago - it would start and idle and pull away - but then refuse to accelerate - gentle coaxing got it up to 20mph - but any attempt at accelerating beyond this was futile and even the slightest hill was a challenge - luckily a service centre is mostly down hill from me...

They have had the car two days and say I am into several hundreds of pounds to fix - some valve (GRD valve(?)) was faulty and had welded itself to the manifold - so they were looking at a long and expensive fix.

Well I have 'googled' trying to find any reference to the part as they named it - and cannot find any. I would not usually be suspicious other than the car had a full service on Monday this week, at the same shop. OK coincidences can happen - but I don't want to be spending this much money unless I really have to. And the car is seven years old, so things break, but things that break usually have a name that you can identify don't they?

Cheers

Reply to
Nigel Town