S40 Cambelt change?

Hey

Can someone advise me if I need to change my cambelt on my 1998 S40 with 165,500 miles on it (approx) the last cambelt change was on

81,438 miles and I have now done an additional 84,400 miles (or so) and although I have booked it in for a cambelt change for Friday - I am trying to decide if I should use it between now and then or leave it alone till I have to take it in on Friday.

Obviously I don't want the cambelt breaking and my engine being killed so what should I do? thanks.

Reply to
Spinstorm

You should go ahead and replace it. its not worth the hassle if it breaks (preventative repair)

Reply to
guntek

You think I should NOT drive it until then or you think it is safe to do another 100 miles or so until friday?

or better safe than sorry and just don't drive it until I have to take it in on Friday? Thanks.

Reply to
Spinstorm

Hi,

Spinstorm schrieb:

Cambelts don't break on a certain day or time...;-)

Yes, you should change it ASAP, but there is no need now to ban the car for just a few days.

Here in Europe we have a rule of thumb to change the belt every

100.000 km (62.500 mls). To map with the service intervalls this is first scheduled at 90.000 km (56.250 mls). According to that scheme you are about 20.000 mls late... :-(

Roland (Austria, '99 V40 2.0T)

Reply to
Roland Messerschmidt