S40 Central Locking - Boot/trunk

Hi everyone,

My central locking on my 2000 S40 was working perfectly well until last night. I went down to the local supermarket and placed the groceries in the boot/trunk and all was well. Five minutes later when I got home the boot/trunk won't open, it remains locked. It seems the central locking doesn't want to unlock the boot/trunk. I can unlock it with a key. Any suggestions? At this time of the year I can't really afford taking it to the local Volvo dealers.

Thanks. Andre

Reply to
ave

I found that what happens when I tried to unlock the trunk on my 2000 S40 from inside the car depended on the position of the key slot. I'd have to go look to tbe sure, but I think it should be vertical for the central unlocking to work.

The dealer wasn't helpful on this; I had to figure it out myself. The other thing I had to learn was to first turn the key, then push the lock in. It was natural for me to push first, then turn.

Reply to
Marvin

I have the same problem with my S40. The locking mechanism is broken - it's a plastic assembly and one small tab is broken off that prevents the remote locking to operate correctly.

If I had the time, I'd fix it myself as it seems to be a fairly straightforward remove and replace solution (after you take the trunk liner off).

Reply to
Lloyd Wells

Hi Marvin,

Yes except that at the sh Remove key vertically: Boot remains locked Turn key clockwise and remove: Lock works with central locking system. Turn key anti-clockwise: Insert key and open lock without using central locking system. The key cannot be removed.

The lock is set to operate with the central locking system, but it doesn't work. :-(

So I'm desperate for some help... lol

Thanks.

Marv> > Hi everyone,

Reply to
ave

Thanks Lloyd... I've just looked in my Haynes manual and it does seem a simple job to take it out. I'll do that in the morning and hopefully it won't become a major expense. I'll let you know what I found.

Thanks

Lloyd Wells wrote:

Reply to
ave