S40 Check Engine Code P0700

My '01 S-40 (89K Miles) has a check engine code P0700 - Transmission control system malfunction. Can anybody enlighten me about what this might mean? The car drives fine and the only thing it's doing (other than the light) is that the transmission mode arrow keeps flashing.

Any information about this would be appreciated.

Rob

Reply to
Rob MacTurk

I can't help you out with any specifics, but the transmission control unit has detected some kind of fault - electrical or internal - and that's why the arrow is flashing. The transmission control unit can "ask" the engine control unit to turn on the check engine light, which is why you have that code. You need a code reader that can read Volvo transmission faults, many of which are not part of the OBD-II spec., so generic OBD-II readers will not be able to read them.

Reply to
Mike F

DRAT! I was afraid it was going to be a proprietary code - Thanks anyway, Mike

Rob

Reply to
Rob MacTurk

How did you obtain this code (which tool) In the OBD2 standard the code P0700 is a generic code for transmission fault, other codes may be present in the ECU being more specific. If the code would be P1... it would be proprietary.

Per Hauge

"Rob MacTurk" skrev i en meddelelse news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com...

Reply to
Per Hauge