S40 Gear problems getting into 1st 2nd and Reverse

I have a '97 Volvo S40 and I am having a lot of problems getting it to go into 1st, 2nd and reverse gears. I can get into first by lifting the reverse latch and putting the gearstick through the motion of going into reverse. Getting into reverse is very difficult, it requires a fair bit of force and it feels as if it is further over to the left than it should. It almost feels like there is a guiding plate which has slipped slightly to the left and that is why I am having difficulty changing gears. Does anybody know if this is a big job? Or can I do it myself? Many Thanks Allan

Reply to
allanmb

No takers for this?

Reply to
allanmb

Remember reading on a UK site someone who said that the link bushings needed replacing when this happens.

See if this helps.

good luck

John

Reply to
John Smith

Excellent, thanks very much John. That looks like it should help :o) Allan

Reply to
allanmb

You're welcome....

Reply to