S40 Is there a automatic transmission dipstick

Just purchased a used 01 s40,in the owners handbook makes reference to trans oil type and quanity but no reference to if theres a dipstick. Is there or not??

Reply to
seadooman

I don't know, but hope so. Volvo tried using the "sealed" type transmission on the early 850, with truly impressively bad results. I think it was a GM tranny...

Reply to
Michael Cerkowski

A GM tranny was used in a Volvo while owned by Ford?

Reply to
James Sweet

The transmission dipstick on the S-40 is located down below the throttle body assembly. Look carefully on the right side (while facing the engine) front. A flashlight helps. You'll see a flat, circular plastic knob stuck way down beneath the intake hoses.

Reply to
Lloyd Wells

The transmission wasn't sealed, there just was no fluid replacement in the service schedule. And the transmission was not a GM transmission, it was made by Asian Warner, just like the units that proved so reliable in the 240/700/900. And while the 850 was in production, Volvo cars wasn't owned by Ford. And the S80 T6 has always used a GM transmission, the 4T65E, so Ford has been buying transmissions from GM since they bought Volvo in 1999.

Interestingly I've read that GM and Ford are co-developing a 6 speed automatic. (already 1 speed behind Mercedes!)

Reply to
Mike F

Since when is one less speed "behind"? Coincidentally, I just brought a friend of mine over to Fletcher Jones Mercedes here in Las Vegas. As the service manager was showing him what suspension parts they just replaced (on an 1,800 mile old car), I commented on the six Mercedes with transmissions on hydraulic stands either being taken out or being put back in. Chuckling, the service manager said...."Yeah, when the temperature gets over 100 degrees, the department fills up with transmission problems". Three of the cars still had the Nevada temporary paper plate on them that are only good for a max. of 30 days. One speed behind, indeed...One speed behind on the flatbed! I'd like to see a return to Power-Glide used on Chevrolets or the old four-speed Hydra-Matics used on Cadillacs from the 40's and 50's. They were air-cooled, lasted for a couple of hundred thousand miles and were rebuildable, not junkable.

Reply to
..

The Toyota Prius has what they call an "electronic CVT." It has CVT action but has no belts, clutches or shifting gears. It's a pretty slick system that is essentially a skewed differential with a pair of motor/generators to simulate a transmission.

Having driven a '67 Chevy Biscayne with a "Powerglide" slushbox and a "Turbothrift" 6 cylinder engine, I can honestly say the Powerglide was awful. The Chevy did more gliding and thrifting than powering and turboing. Once we got off the road into snow at 12000 feet, and the wheels wouldn't spin even in reverse... the engine sounded like it was idling at full throttle! The passengers got out and pushed it back onto the road.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee