S40 noise

I own a 2000 S40 and in addition to many problems which were already discussed I always seem to get a really loud clunking noise from underneath the left side of the car every time I press the accelerator pedal. At the dealership they told me it is caused by "travel" of the transmission as it shifts and that it is normal and cannot be fixed. I have never had similar problems with any other cars I've had, sure you'd hear transmission shifting but this thing happens about 90% percent of the time I press the gas pedal. No big deal certainly compared to other problems this model has but nonetheless annoying.

I was wondering if anyone experienced anything similar on S40 or other Volvo models, this is the only Volvo I've had.

Thanks, Paul

Reply to
Paul

I had a similar clunk to what you describe, on my V70 a couple of years ago. It turned out to be the 'top engine steady' bush broken. This is a standard type of bonded rubber bush, which is on a bracket which spans Bulkhead---engine at the top. Mine bolts to the engine right above the turbo (on my diesel), and I made a special bit of tube/studding to pull the old bush out, and then press the new one in. Total cost £3.22. Dealer probably wouldn't charge a lot for this simple exercise (!). There is apparently another one of these brackets at the bottom too. They stop the engine rotating about the crankshaft axis, or about the driveshafts' axis too much. Everytime I pushed my gas (derv?) pedal, I got the clunk as the engine rotates slightly and the bracket touched on the engine. Cheers. p.s Are you in the UK? joe.

Reply to
Joe landy

No, I'm in the US, so have the first American S40 model. During one of my many visits to the dealer I asked them about the noise and they said they couldn't reproduce the problem. Next time they said it is the loose suspension but after it was tightened, I test drove it with one of the mechanics and he said it was the transmission and "all S40s are like that", that's why I was curious if anyone experienced the same thing. It is kind of a hollow sound right from somewhere underneath the driver's side of the car, not from the direction of the engine and I can feel the slight vibration from it too. I learned to just ignore it but on some days it tends to annoy the heck out of me.

I had numerous other problems as well (blown gasket, fuel pump, air flow sensor, pads/rotors) and s> Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2003 19:05:27 +0100

Reply to
Paul

Return to the dealer & have them check their Tech-Net Notes for #61-04 dated 07/24/2003 Front Center Member Bushings I have a copy of the Tech-Net Note if you would like supply a valid E-Mail address & will send to you Glenn

Reply to
G Klein