S60 acrid smell from air vents

My 2001 S60 2.4SE has suddenly developed a pungent smell which appears to be emanating from the air vents. Anyone have experience of this occurring and is it an indication of a problem with the air conditioning I wonder?

Any advice appreciated, thanks.

Reply to
plod

I had this with my old 240. It was the heater core leaking.

Reply to
Boris Mohar

Leaking coolant will usually have a sickeningly sweet smell unless you have been running pure water in the cooling system. It is not what I would call pungent. An indication of a leaking heater core is a fine fog on the front window that doesn't go away with the AC on or with side windows open.

You might check for a buildup of mold. The car's software should toggle the blower fan to come on after the AC has been used but it may not be set correctly. I'm not sure where you live, but a buildup of leaves in the air intake can decompose and result in a very strong odor as well.

Reply to
Roadie

This time of year and depending on the humidity being high, your catalitic unit on the exhaust system might be emitting sulphuric fumes mixed with some hydrogen sulfide. Chances are your engine is running a little rich do to the cold and adding to the problem. Just a thought. Dale

Reply to
Dale_Peterson

Thanks to each of you for your suggestions.

I now suspect a defective heater core, as the symptoms Roadie describes are very similar to those I am experiencing. It would seem that replacing this is not a quick or cheap operation and probably well beyond my competance or patience!

Has anyone any recommendation for a reliable supplier/fitter in the New Forest, UK area, please?

Reply to
plod

First make sure its not the Heater Fan resistor pack / power stage unit thats melting- it sits in the airflow for cooling...

Burst heater core will smell sweet and cause the windows to mist up (and coolant level in expansion tank to drop)

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..