s60 antilock brakes

I'm now very suspicious of my s60's antilocks.

Since the day I got this ('01, 2.4) car, on entering my driveway at a skew with the brakes on and hitting a small swail, the front brakes make a loud noise like a "boingggggg". I finally figured out it was the brakes, not the suspension falling apart. Ok.

But yesterday I was out on snow-covered roads. The car handled fine, good tires, careful driving, etc, but when I needed to stop absolutely nothing happened except the front end exploded in that same falling-apart "boingggg" noise that I hear on entering my drive.

Thankfully I didn't get in an accident, traffic was light, but it was unnerving. I really like to have control of the car, and for a moment I certainly wasn't.

I'm a good driver, I've done some incredible escape maneuvers in critical situations, and thank God I am unscathed as yet. I really wish the car didn't have antilocks, but lacking that, does anyone have insight into what might be going on here?

Thanks, Paul

Reply to
Paul_B

I just test drove one last week with my wife. Various speed slamming on the brakes, they worked great and were quiet too.

John

Paul_B wrote:

Reply to
The Visitor