S60: new headlight bulb doesn't do it

I've been riding around with a "dipped headlight bulb out" error for a while, so today I tried putting in a new bulb. It took me a few minutes and a flashlight to figure out how to physically make the switch, but the unit still doesn't work. Is there some other possibility I should look for - like a fuse dedicated to one headlight bank only, or something - or do I need to recheck my connections even more carefully?

Thanks, p.

'01 s60

Reply to
Paul_B

First see if the lamp is truly not lit. The error message may itself be in error.

Reply to
Marvin

The dipped beam is the low beam make sure that you did not replace the high beam by accident

Reply to
Glenn Klein

In the bulb failure relay there are little shunts - a low resistance that the relay uses to measure the current going into the bulb. This is the info that the relay uses to turn the bulb failure light on. These burning out are a fairly common problem. There are different ones, depending on the headlights.

Reply to
Mike F

Would this shunt going kill the headlight too? I think tommorrow I'll see if my mechanic will take a look at it. It is the headlight that's not lit, not just an errant warning message.

Thanks to all who responded - I've been offline for 4 days due to serious ISP error.

p.

Reply to
Paul_B

Yes, while I've never dealt with the solid state sensor used in the S60, a burned out shunt will indeed kill whatever light it feeds. Makes me like the old electromechanical sensors a bit more, very clever design they used.

Reply to
James Sweet

Turns out it was something related to the interior fuse panel. We checked the hood compartment fuses - nothing. Then he went into the interior panel. Not sure what he did - he speaks with a thick Greek accent - but I soon had my light back. I supposed it was the fuse, though he made it sound more complicated than that.

Thanks again to all.

p.

Reply to
Paul_B