s60: rubber roof trim strips

I just got an '01 S60, Ruby Red. It has two strips that run the length of the windshield/roof /rear window, just above the doors. The strip has turned a blotchy gray. It appears to be oxidation, as I can scrape it off, to some extent, with a knife edge or steel wool. Is this common, and is there a best way to restore the finish, or is repainting the best bet (though I have doubts they ever were painted; more likely the color is in the material).

Thanks, Paul

Reply to
pb

Had the same problem on my '01 platinum green. Dealer replaced them under warranty.

Reply to
Hal Whelply

Paul - every S60 that I've seen (at least in our somewhat parochial venue) has had the strips painted in whatever color the car is finished. Yes, they're plastic, but it's the kind (as in bumper skins) that takes paint quite well.

bob noble Reno, NV, USA

Reply to
Bob Noble

Then I guess I either compound them down or repaint.

Paul

Reply to
pb

I tried that, but found my mileage was over warrantee. Evidently the strips don't take the paint well over time.

Paul

Reply to
pb