S60-T Accelerated on its own!

While at a red light, my foot on the brake, my 2002 S60-T (34,000 miles) accelerated (as if someone suddenly stomped on the accelerator) all by itself. I kept my foot on the brake but the car began to go through an intersection, anti-lock brakes thumping away. I made a quick right turn and shifted the car into neutral. The RPMs came down from red line (8,000 I was told by my wide-eyed rear seat passenger) to normal in about one or two seconds or so. A few minutes later, it happened a second time while I was stopped at another red light. Twice in one night, the car floored itself while I was stopped at a red light. Cruise control was off. Everything seemed normal -- but it wasn't. I had been driving for at least ten minutes before the first incident so I believe the car had warmed up sufficiently. It wasn't the floor mat.

I had the car at the dealer for a download of the computer yesterday. No indications of trouble. They drove the car off and on today to see if it would happen again. Nothing. I have not experienced a problem again either -- but my confidence in the safety of this car (now nicknamed "Christine" - like in the movie) is zero. I'm afraid to drive it, or have any family member drive it. Will it happen again? How can I be assured it won't?

I did express concerns about liability exposure to myself and to Volvo here if anything happens. While courteous, Volvo's assistant service manager did nothing more than have his people test drive the car today. If anyone gets injured (or worse) as a result of this happening again, it could be very ugly. Frankly, I expected more concern from Volvo here -- as the company's reputation is built on safety. Safety is the primary reason I bought this car. If I'm the customer service manager, I would absolutely notify Volvo HQ of this incident (minimally). I have no reason to believe he did or will.

The night was cold and snowy. I had the car washed the day before -- not sure if either could have caused/contributed to the problem. This problem reminds me of the Audi 5000 problem in the '80s -- a problem that Audi didn't handle well -- and it cost them dearly reputation-wise.

  • Has anyone experienced a similar problem with their Volvo?

  • Does anyone have an idea of what might have caused this "foot to the floor automatic acceleration" problem.

  • What should I do here (aside from buying Japanese again)? Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks!!

Sean Chicago

Reply to
Sean Reilly

i would contact your attorney and the local office of consumer complaints...you need to start a "paper trail" on your s80...

if it keeps up, file claims on volvo north america...the will help as long as you are "making noise"... oh yea...i would keep kids out of my car as well...

Reply to
~^ beancounter ~^

Just thinking out loud here - are the S60s prone to defective throttle position sensor pots, as in the S80s? If I understand the S80 problem right, the throttle control loses track of where it is setting the throttle. If this is the case, it is not likely to leave a trail (the system believes it did everything right). If it is a "by wire" throttle control, it could also be a failure of the accelerator position sensor... that would not normally leave a trail, either.

I, too, would be worried. Be aware there will be a lot of institutional resistance to your story, since the great majority of "automatic full throttle acceleration" are the clear result of foot confusion. Your description of it happening twice, while already stopped, and the brakes fighting the acceleration, convinces me that isn't what you experienced.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Interesting reference to Audi 5000S. I was driving an Audi 5000S at the time and considered the situation lacking all technical merit. If you analyze the testimony given in at least one case the car accelerated from a full stop in such a way as to force the car through a garage door as well as the back wall of the garage notwithstanding the fact the driver claimed to have his/her foot firmly depressing the break pedal. "The car did not even slow down!"

Fact: the coefficient of static friction is much greater that of dynamic friction. Meaning that the breaks are more effective when the car is not moving than when the car is moving. At least form me the car capable of stopping from a speed in excess of 150 KM/H very quickly.

Conclusion: Recall the testimony (the care did not even slow down!)

The driver has his/her foot firmly planted on the Accelerator and not the brake. So much for sudden acceleration!

I was considering suing 60 Minutes and MarketPlace in Canada.

I had the car for over 250,000 KM. Never had a problem with that issue. My extremely excellent private VW/Audi mechanic agreed with my assessment. Not that the Audi peddles ARE extremely close to each other.

On one occasion after driving a rental vehicle (GM) for some time on business, I managed to have a sudden acceleration issue in my 2003 XC70. My assessment was that I had simultaneously depressed both the accelerator and brake pedals. In other words DRIVER ERROR! Not in any way a mechanical problem.

"Twice in one night, the car floored itself while I was stopped at a red light" These circumstances are remarkably similar to my situation.

Gunner

I know of an Audi garage who said it was pretty much BS about the 5000 - many of their customers have 5000's and they themselves (garage owners) have at least 1 or 2 for their own use... Interesting note I found on my 99.5 VW Golf TDI (haven't tried on the Volvo - a 93' 960) - if I press the gas and brake pedals at the same time (automatic tranny) the engine will cut power and the car goes to idle speed - safety feature perhaps? I believe it has a by-wire throttle - wouldn't be hard to implement an interlock.

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Thanks for the feedback. I did cc: Volvo (corporate) on my newsgroup posting the same night. I cc:ed myself for documentation purposes. In my letter to corporate, I suggested they run things by their lawyers. The choice of making updates to my car (to assure something like this doesn't happen again) versus settling a multi-million dollar law suit (should something terrible happen as a result of this happening again) would be a no-brainer to me, but it's in Volvo's hands.

To Volvo (corporate's) credit... they responded to my e-mail the next day and asked for the VIN Number and name of dealer who looked at my car. I trust that they are looking into it. Didn't hear from anyone today but I'm hopeful that the dialog will continue.

In a time when people sue McDonald's for obecity (which is flat-out insane), I'm deeply concerned about what might happen if this problem repeats itself. More than being concerned about law suits, I'm concerned about hurting someone. I don't want this to happen. You would think that "safety-conscious" Volvo would share this concern.

Let's see what happens here.

Sean

Reply to
Sean Reilly

Mike:

Thanks for your feedback. I will discuss with Volvo (if given the chance). I corresponded (once) with Volvo (corporate) who is looking into the situation. I'm waiting for their follow-up reply. I did appreciate corporate getting back to me. Good first step. Let's see where this goes.

I love the car and I don't want to be an alarmist. I have no axe to grind with Volvo in any way. I do need Volvo's (written) assurance that this won't happen again, however. What do you think the chances are they'll provide it? I'd be shocked if they would provide anything in writing without making alterations to the car first (or perhaps even after they make alterations).

Some suggested it was driver's error but, as you mentioned, the fact that it happened TWICE in the same night makes you (and me) feel otherwise. I was unprepared and caught off guard for the first event. I was totally prepared for the second. Some suggtested my foot may have been on the accelerator and I stomped on it rather than the brake. I doubt this was the case as I was fully stopped at red lights... for several seconds (5-20, I estimate) in both cases.. and my car accelerated from a perfect stand-still both times. It wasn't like I slowed down without coming to a full stop, stomped on the accelerator and the car took off. On BOTH occasions, I was fully stopped and then the car suddenly revved and started to fight my braking action. In both cases, the car wouldn't have accelerated through a brick wall (as one respondent said an Audi accident victim claimed) but I (or my wife or young daughter) probably would have rear-ended a car in front of me, or inched into a busy intersection to possibly get broad-sided by God knows what, or hit a pedestrian in a cross-walk.

Three passengers in the car with me that night would testify as to what happened, if necessary. The second time it happend, as the car reved and fought my braking action, I exclaimed something like, "Here it goes again!" They were happy to get out of the car when I reached the destination. Can you see the Audi commercial now?... "The best thing about a Volvo is getting out of it... alive."

Maybe Volvo will do nothing... and maybe I'll never experience the problem again... and maybe the problem will never happen to any other Volvo owner. That would be 100% fine with me. In the mean time, I've documented everything so that if something tragic happens, I can provide my lawyers with plenty of evidence that I did my best to resolve the issues. In the mean time, I continue to monitor this news group for input.

Sean

Reply to
Sean Reilly

Gunner:

Thanks for your feedback. I did consider (and re-consider) that it may have been driver (my) error as you suggest. I was wearing boots that night as it was snowing. This was the first time I wore boots with this car and -- yes -- the accelerator and brake are close together (something Volvo's engineers might want to consider in future designs as many Volvo owners -- in both USA and Sweden -- wear boots during winter).

If it happened once, I would be much more likely to concede that I may have been at fault. But it happened twice in the same night -- about 5 minutes apart (and the second time I was VERY aware of what happened the first time). I tried to recreate the situation that night after dropping my passengers off. Zip. Volvo said they couldn't get it to happen either.

After reading your feedback, I went out (with my boots on) and tried to step on the brake and accelerator simultaneously. It was difficult to do but I was able to do it. HOWEVER, with a foot on the brake (fully stopped) and my attempt to step on the accelerator at the same time, I couldn't get the car to rev into the red line zone without really forcing my foot down in such a way that my foot was almost entirely off the brake. This was a highly unnatural driving position that took deliberate action to cause. Highly doubtful I could have done it accidentally -- TWICE -- in the same night. Try it if you own a Volvo and see what you think.

Did I accidentally step on the accelerator rather than the brake? Fair question. My recollection... I was stopped at a red light. Did I lift my foot off the brake to stomp on the accelerator (accidentally) -- TWICE -- to the red line point? Highly doubtful. Tonight, I deliberately floored the car (foot not on the brake) and I couldn't get it to red line before I had to slow down. Did the car red line (only) after I shifted into neutral that night to disengage from drive? Possibly... I honestly don't know as my primary concern was to get it to disengage.

Was I impaired in any way that evening? Absolutely not.

I have no axe to grind with Volvo. I love this car. I don't want to put Volvo through unnecessary paces or expenses to fix something that isn't broken (if it truly isn't). What I DO want is to be 100% certain that this problem doesn't happen again -- ever. I'm doing all I can to be sure it doesn't. I'm willing to work with Volvo on this... to meet with engineers... to explore possible causes. If they can prove to me how it was driver error, I'll happily thank them for educating me so the problem doesn't happen again. For me, it's about safety -- not ego. Not sure how Volvo feels here yet. I'm hopeful they'll share my position.

I don't know why you find my reference to Audi "interesting." It was the only thing I could think of... that comes close to what I experienced TWICE the other evening. You suggest the Audi situation was a scam based on your experience and a conversation with your mechanic. Not sure if a study of two is statistically meaningful. You suggest 60 Minutes did a hatchet job on Audi. It wouldn't be the first time they sensationalized something for ratings. I hate the show. Can't stand the show or the reporters. Was the Audi story sensation or reality? I honestly don't know. I never saw that piece. Did you really consider suing 60 Minutes over the story? You must really have LOVED your Audi!

My Volvo didn't accelerate to the point where it would have gone through a garage wall (at least not with my foot on the brake). But it did creep forward during the process. It would have rear-ended a car in front of me had there been one, or I would have crept far enough into the intersection to be T-boned by oncoming traffic -- thankfully there was none, or I would have hit a pedestrian in front of me if there had been one. Thankfully -- this time -- no ill events. I don't want there to be "next time" where the outcome might be different. Wonder how Volvo feels? We'll see.

Reply to
Sean Reilly

The ECU on the S60 has an onboard "flight recorder", which stores items such as throttle position, power asked for and power provided, acceloronmeter, steering angle and brake switch information for the last (i think) 4hrs, so any funny business will be clearly shown on the download.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

I have just been out in a friends s60 2.0 T (180bhp) auto. By way of an experiement we tried full power with the brakes hard on whilst stationary for a couple of seconds.

The brakes were able to hold the car stationary against full power of the engine. Note that this was after being at idle for abit so the brake servo was at full capacity- thus the brakes at their most effective.

Had yoou not had full brake servo assistance you probably wouldnt have been able to hold the car on the brakes. If this was a T5 or such with more power than 180bhp you also may not have been able to hold it.

Get back to the dealer and see what the flight recorder says....

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

The most noticeable feature of most "accelerated on its own" stories is that the car accelerates at full throttle, although the driver is pressing on the "brake" pedal as hard as possible, and the brakes do nothing. Since the brakes seem to work afterward and the likelihood of simultaneous total brake failure and throttle opening is nil, the inescapable conclusion is that the driver got on the accelerator pedal instead of the brake.

That's what is different about this case. An unimpaired driver, waiting with his foot on the brake, is not very likely to accidentally slip his foot upward onto the accelerator and depress it fully without noticing, especially if (as described) the same foot is still on the brake and the brakes are fighting the acceleration. In addition, as described, the engine went from red line back to idle on its own. I've had foot confusion myself - when the brake went to the floor I thought I was on the clutch instead - and the mind focuses a lot on the pedals at times like that. The driver would definitely know if the engine idled down because he moved his foot.

Barring some weird medical problem (I've heard of Alien Hand Syndrome - is this Alien Foot Syndrome?) the problem pretty much has to be in the throttle control system.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

"Gunner" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com... (snip...)

IMHO: there is only one country in this world in which cars suddenly accelerate while the driver hits the brakes: USA. And there is only one reason for that: you can easily earn billions of dollars for that in the USA. Any lawyer sees the dollar-signs in his eyes while fighting for "human rights" being destroyed by the bl*** manufacturers. Coffee too hot: get 15 million from MCD***, ice to cold? get...... killed yourself your kid while misregarding a red traffic light and the kid was not using the safety belt? claim a "poorly designed lock.... sorry...... this is not normal....

All in all: I did not belive this self-accelerating stories and I do not belive in this story.

Looking about the warnings in the recent manuals and on the sidewalls of my tires I have many thoughts and many doubts....

Jürgen

Reply to
Jürgen Schrader

I agree with you that law suits in the USA are out of control. Ridiculous. That is true. But, as I live in the USA, and I recognize this epidemic, I try to protect myself from becoming a victim of said law suits. For this reason, I went to Volvo with a problem I experienced. I don't believe it was driver error (twice in one night). I believe it was my car. Nobody got hurt. No law suit was filed. I reached out for help and advice. I'm trying to prevent both from happening in the future. I don't want anyone to get hurt and I don't want any kind of law suit from being filed (against me or against Volvo). In good faith, I took steps to prevent future injury or legal action. I have done my part to the very best of my ability. This is on the record. Now the matter is in Volvo's hands.

For the record, I didn't post my experience to find out who believes about the events and who doesn't. Juergen, in all candor, I don't care what you believe about this situation or my country for that matter. I posted my experience merely to find out if any other Volvo customers ever experienced a similar situation.

Sean

Reply to
Sean Reilly

Thanks Tim. Sadly, my car isn't the T5 (which it were). I have not tried to do what you did only because I don't want to harm my transmission or brakes by putting that kind of stress on them.

My car has 34,000 miles on it. I'm wondering if the car you tested had newer brake linings? Might that make a difference? Or, on the night I was driving it, there was snow all over (the roads were wet). Could wet pavement (and wet brakes) make a difference? If the brakes were wet, could they still hold the car?

The car didn't go fast when it reved up, but it did creep.

Sean

Reply to
Sean Reilly

Tim:

Took the car in two days after the event. I know I didn't drive for more than 4 hours between the event and the Volvo visit. They did "dump" the flight recorder and saw nothing unusual.

Sean

Reply to
Sean Reilly

that would be for a jury to decide...in the usa, large payouts keeps co's honest...if it were not for financial loss...do you really think, for a min, co's would "do the right thing" in a capitalist environment...???

Reply to
~^ beancounter ~^

Frankly if the brakes were not up to the job of holding the car against full power, or indeed performing a panick stop from..say 70mph withoout something breaking or bursting then i'd be worried.

Warming up the torque converter is another thing, and I would not suggest you apply full power against a stationary transmission for more than

3-4seconds (which in reality is along time) but for the purposes of an experiement or leaving the lights as quickly as possible it presents no danger, if done with mechanical sympathy etc.

The car in question was a 2004 with 18,000miles on it, if the brakes are not worn out and the rear self adjusting mechanism is working properly then the braking performance of your car vs the one I used should have been very nearly the same- servo issues aside.

Grip the tyres have against the road is also irrelevant (with a FWD car only) as all the braking power is applied to the front wheels, which on a FWD is where the engine power is applied to also- you could jack up the car, and remove the wheels and there would be no difference. Think about it.

This is probably down to the car moving when you applied the brakes and the servo not being able to give you 100% assistance because the engine was not producing any vacuum to make the servo work..

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

" Tim (Remove NOSPAM." schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:ctd47v$99p$ snipped-for-privacy@sparta.btinternet.com...

I read your stroy, but beliving in it: no.

Jürgen

Reply to
Jürgen Schrader

Maybe there is a cutoff when both pedals are applied? My Golf diesel will cut engine power if the brakes are on with the accelerator.

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Jurgen:

When I posted my original question on the newsgroup, it was for one reason... Simply to find out if other Volvo owners had ever experienced anything like what I experienced? I wasn't looking for people to believe, or not believe, me. I wasn't looking to solicit political viewpoints about my country, or any other country for that matter. I didn't want to discuss the legal system in my country, or any other country. **All I wanted to know is if other Volvo owners had ever experienced something similar to what I experienced. ** My experience was disconcerting (to say the least) and I was looking for information (one way or the other) so that I could take the best -- educated -- approach as a follow-up to that bad experience.

I'm not sure why you felt compelled to turn a simple question into something other than what I was asking for. I don't believe I signed on to a newsgroup called alt.politics.socialist or alt.autos.Nazi. I signed on to alt.autos.volvo -- which I expected to be a newsgroup that transcends political viewpoints or boarders and, instead, is a place where Volvo owners could gather input on their cars from other Volvo owners.

You seem to be a self-proclaimed Volvo expert. Peachy for you. Volvo is sending a representative to look at my car on Thursday which I appreciate. Hopefully this will be good (and safe -- which I believe is what Volvo wants and certainly what I want) for all.

Sean

Reply to
Sean Reilly