S70 1999: Antenna mast and motor assembly

In the last couple of week the motorized antenna mast of my 1999 S70 started to behave erratically, it will some times fully extend, some times only partially, some times it will filly go down, and some times only partially. Now it seem to be stuck half way in, and will not move.

I did dismantle the whole thing down to the motor casing, cleaning up all the grim (and a lot of it) that had accumulated on the gear train, I check that there is no broken or missing teeth on the motor, gear train or the plastic cord (??? whatever the name is) that push/pull the antenna, everything seems to be OK.

When the motor is NOT connected to any gear, when I turn the radio ON, it will turn in one direction for a couple of second and then if I turn the radio OFF, it will turn in the other direction for a coupe of second. But if the motor is connected to the gear-train and antenna assembly, the motor will only turn a fraction of a turn and stop ..... is it toasted ?

Reply to
Marc B.

if the plastic tail is disconnected, and you opush/pull on it, does the antenna go up/down freely?

if not, i think the problem is there and the motor meets resistance so it thinks the antenna is at the top.

Marc B. wrote:

Reply to
klh

The mast itself is OK, it goes up and down easily while pushing/pulling the plasting tail. I suspect that either the motor has not enough torque anymore or that the electronic that sence that the motor meets to much resistance (probably some sort of current sensing circuitry) is dying.

I still wonder if I should invest more time trying to figure it out, or if I should spit the $$$ to change the whole thing, probably a ~$200 ~ $300 cdn ordeal.

Thanks for the reply

Reply to
Marc B.

I had pretty much the same issue with my 1999 S70. I replaced the entire unit with one from FCP Groton for about $140 CDN. Don't go to the dealer. They wanted $300 plus tax for a job that took me about 20 mins...

Jabber

Marc B. wrote:

Reply to
Jabber

Hi I have a 940 Volvo with standard headlights

Will the headlights from a 1979 with the foglights fit?

Would the fog light hook-ups be installed in the wiring harness?

Thanks

John

Reply to
John Samoila