S70 ABS light

OK, now my 1998 S70T5's ABS light comes on intermittently. I've done various forum searches, and many mention the ABS and TRAC light coming on together. On mine, it's just the ABS.

It comes on when starting sometimes, sometimes it won't. It will come on when driving sometimes, and sometimes it will go away.

I think it's pretty obvious that I should replace the sensor. However, here's another question with that .... would this in any way be able to drain my battery? My car wouldnt' start during lunch, and the battery place's gauge couldn't get a reading on whether or not the battery could hold a charge. It just read that the battery's health was 0. I got a brand new battery out of it for $22.48, which is not too bad since the battery was about 19 months old. They applied my full price that I paid last time to the new battery and only made me pay miscellaneous fees.

Thanks, Mike

Pull the code, find out it's the right rear wheel sensor, and order a new control unit or have yours "rebuilt." The circuit board inside the case is poorly supported and poorly potted. The solder joints toward the outside edges tend to crack. The outermost wire pair on one side is the right rear wheel sensor and the crack causes the signal from that sensor to be erractic. This turns on the light. On later models the speedometer quits at the same time.

If the amber warning light is on then the system is telling you that the ABS portion of the brake system is disabled but the brake system itself is fine. If there were a problem with the brake system hydraulics then the red brake warning light would illuminate. Red means stop, amber means slow down and pay attention, no light is the same as green--just go.

Bob

Reply to
User