S70 creaking sound turns to grinding sound!

I have a 1998 S70 T5 that used to make a creaking noise when I made a slow hard right turn, like when I would turn into my garage. I don't recall hearing the same sound when making a slow hard left turn.

Driving around today, a new sound is arose. Now my car at slower speeds sounds like a remote control electric car. It's almost like you can hear the sounds of gears increasing in speed. After 30 mph, the sound changes back to a normal sound. That sound also seemed to be louder right after making a turn.

OK, so I am starting to think that maybe my power steering is failing. Turning seemed to a little more difficult.

Well, to top this all off, I thought I heard some hissing sound inside the car. I turned off the AC and radio, and a faint sound was heard, like maybe air from a punctured tire. After I parked in the garage, I opened the hood, but I didn't hear anything that could have been the source of the hissing. However, as a test, I turned the steering wheel to the right. YIKES!!!! I heard a grinding sound. It sounds like something is scraping one the belts. The sound is loudest and most frightening when the wheel is turned full stop and lessens a bit when straight.

What could be the problem??!?! The car has been flawless lately, but there is the lingering message from my mechanic that some bushings are cracked and that their failure would be very bad for the car's aluminum frame that holds up the engine, so I'm guessing he was talking about an engine mount bushing? Does this have any bearing on my situation!

Help me please!

Mike snipped-for-privacy@overlunch.com

Reply to
Michael Chiu

I read this in the postings just now ... Could it be as "easy" as this?

--- cut/paste follows --- No, very unlikely to be CV joints. Far more likely to be the lock stops. There's a little arm on each hub which comes up against a nylon pad at full lock to stop the steering from turning any further. When you drive along on full lock, these arms move up and down on the pads as the suspension moves. If there's not sufficient lubrication on them, they make a horrible noise.

Jack up the front of the car and remove the front wheels. Turn the steering from lock to lock and observe the bits which stop it going any further. Gives the ends of the arms and the nylon pads a liberal dose of grease, and spread it with your finger over the rubbing surfaces. This should solve the problem!

Reply to
Michael Chiu

It could be. However - from your original post, you also said that you now also hear a new sound when the car is in motion (no turning), that sort of disappears as you pick up speed. If you did have a cracked CV boot that lead to dirt accumulating in the joint, it is possible that you also have a bad right axle now but the dirt grinding against the axle.

Grease the lock stops and see if that solves the problem. If it doesn't, while you have the car jacked up, inspect the inner and outer (especially the outer) CV boots. If they appear cracked, get a CV boot kit from IPD, and hopefully that should fix the problem.

If that doesn't fix sound when the car is at low speed that disappears as you pick up speed - the axle shaft may need to be replaced.

Beverly

Reply to
Bev A. Kupf