Scantool, OBD-II, Volvo S80, DTC, Fault Codes, Trouble Codes

I bought my FIRST Volvo (1999 S80) about 4 months ago and have enjoyed the newsgroup since that time. The newsgroup led me to Vadis, which I also enjoy, and used to replace a burnt bulb in the Climate Control Unit - but I turned the key on during the procedure and caused a Fault Code:26 "SRS-Airbag Service Urgent".

I checked with the dealer and they want $43 to reset it. (No way.)

I checked message boards, and found a trick with the ignition position and the Trip meter, but it doesn't work either (I spent over an hour trying combinations!)

I haven't disconnected the battery, but according to the message boards, that won't help either.

Here is my request: I need to find a scan tool or computer cable that will read and reset this code (not just a "service engine light). I have a laptop and a desktop, but no PDA. It would be neat if the cable would interface with VADIS, but i don't want to pay $3600. I plan to spend LESS than $200. Bells and whistles would be cool, but i really just need to make sure that it will clear my codes.

I have found hundreds of websites making claims about their tools/cables and software, but I would rather rely on you all for the best tool to look at. Please note that the Volvo software is not the same for all years -this must work for a 1999 S80.

Thanks!

Off-board consulatation would be appreciated at (Agent)(Peay) at Comcast.net (All one word, remove parenthesis for security, and replace "at" for @)

Reply to
hank

Believe it or not the $39 C Reader from Harbor Freight will read out the codes and do a reset. I've used it on both our '99 S80 and 2000 LeSabre. It's not fancy, it just gives a 4 digit code you look up in the manual, but it works.

-Mike

Reply to
Michael J Panchula