Self levelling shocks

I have a 1988 740 Estate with self levelling shocks. The cost to replace is greater than the value of the car. I have been advised to fit standard shocks. Advised that self levelling shocks are for carrying heavy loads and that standard shocks would be O.K for what I do.

What is the advise from the newsgroup.

Reply to
no

This is ok advice, however you need to change the rear springs as well, as on the Nivomat rear end, the self levelling shocks perform about 1/3 of the spring action too.

Just regular shocks with nivomat springs will result in a "always fully loaded stance".

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

Use standard shocks and springs from a standard 740 wagon.

Reply to
Rod Gray

I got the self-leveling shocks from an after market supplier. They are the self leveling type but cost about half of the Volvo price [scanning for surprised looks in the audience... none to be found]. from Randy & Valerie __ __ \ \ / / \ \/ / \__/olvo 1993 960 Estate

Reply to
Randy G.