Self levelling shocks 740

I apologise for a similar posting for the shocks. My shocks are quite thick with a rubber gator on the bottom, are these self levelling.

Is it possible to pump the shocks up if so how

Reply to
no

The Nivomat self levelling shocks you speak of are pumped up from under the hood. If the shocks are sagging, you'll need to replace them, not two ways about it. They are expensive. It's actually cheaper to buy regular shocks and new springs than to replace the Nivomats. I did that on mine, and it's great.

good luck

RS

not hereplease@not here.com wrote:

Reply to
Rusty

They would appear to be self-levelling shock absorbers (Nivomats). It is not possible to pump these up. If they have lost their effectiveness then replacement is the only real answer. Be prepared to pay a largish amount, especially as they should be replaced in pairs.

Cheers, Peter.

Reply to
Peter Milnes

The shocks are "pumped up" using the motion of the suspension. So even with good Nivomats, the rear of the car sags after being loaded, but before being driven. After going over a few bumps the rear comes back up to normal height. Most Nivomats fail when the seals start to leak this "leveling pressure" out when at rest. After a drive the car looks normal, but the next morning it's sagged. Slowly this gets worse until the pressure leaks out as quickly as it can be pumped in.

Reply to
Mike F

Mike, I must be confused here; When I removed my Nivomats, I also removed what appeared to be a pump mechanism from under my hood, which I was told controlled the shocks. Can you clarify?

RS

Mike F"

Reply to
Rusty

Assuming you have a 87 or earlier 760 with the auto climate control (ACC), that is a vacuum pump for that system. Was it mounted above the battery? When you removed the Nivomats were there any hoses connected to them?

Reply to
Mike F

I had a setup like that on one of my 240s; they were retrofitted self-levelling shocks, but they weren't Nivomats.

Nivomats don't require an external pumping system.

Reply to
Stewart Hargrav

Yes Mike, the pump was mounted above the battery. I simply removed the T fitting and reconnected the air line after removing the pump.

RS

Mike F"

Reply to
Rusty