Sensor Light Prob/ 740 Estate

Recently bought myself a second hand Volvo 740 Estate. Its a great car and the room in the back once the rear seats have been lowered is ideal for me for work.

The only problem i have with the car is that the bulb sensor light lights up when i either brake or when i have the headlights on. I have checked and every light is working so why its the bulb sensor light is coming i dont know.

Any help would be appreciated.

Stephen Cooper

Reply to
Coop

The unit functions by seeing differences in resistance (or current flow) to the lights. if the PO installed brass base bulbs instead of the chrome "European" spec bulbs it can set the sensor off. Go through all the bulbs- remove each one and replace the brass ones. Remove each bulb and clean the contact at the bulbs' bases and cleam the contacts on teh bulb holders as well.

At the same time be sure that the correct bulbs are installed. For example, having the wrong size (wattage) bulb in the 3rd brake light can cause the warning lamp to illuminate when braking.

__ __ Randy & \ \/ /alerie's \__/olvos '90 245 Estate - '93 965 Estate "Shelby" & "Kate"

Reply to
Randy G.

I had a similar problem when I got my '94 940 Estate.

Most of the time the problem was there while I was driving, and not there whenever I looked for the cause of it. :)

It turned out that someone had forced a 4/21W bulb into a holder designed for a 5/21W (the pins on the side are different). After changing the bulb all was well for a couple of months then the fault reappeared intermittently. After cleaning the contacts on the bulb holders and in the rear light assemblies it went away again and hasn't come back (yet).

Reply to
Crazy Dog