Service light on ... HELP

Hello folks. I have a 91 240 and the service light turns on at start of car then about a minute or two later it goes away, this happens every time I start her up. I have pushed the button on the plastic over the odometer, on the bottom right corner, with a tiny screwdriver and I can here it click, but no luck. On my 89 240 there is a switch/button on the back of the odometer, but I cant find one on the 91 240. My odometer is stuck at about 153,XXX miles, I am wondering if because the odometer is stuck, the light is stuck on too, even if I push it to turn off. Please Help... Joseph

Reply to
jsegura525

Remove the cluster, and you will see the lever that needs to be pushed. If it turns the light off and the odometer then works, great. If it does not, and you do not rely on the Service light to remind you of oil changes and the like, when the cluster is out, remove the bulb.

If the odometer does not come back, the drive gear is most likely damaged, from pushing the trip reset while moving IMOP. A gear meshing with the motor needs replacement.

Duane

Reply to
Duane

Thanks, I did that and found the gear that is missing some teefis....

Reply to
jsegura525

I don't see the broken gear as causing the service light problem. I had a gear with missing teeth as well - on an '87 240. Go to odometergears.com. They sell gears for $25 each. I have bought gears for my 240 and 2 850's. In each case, I bought both gears. For an extra $25 you can avoid the other gear breaking in the near future. In my job, I am reimbursed for mileage and can't live without an odometer. Replacing the gears is the best way to go. In the past, I bought a couple of replacement clusters - with broken gears, so I can't recommend going that route. You may want to replace burned out bulbs while you are at it and/or remove the service light.

Terry

Reply to
Son_Worshipper