Service Reminder Lamp

My friend drives a Volvo V70 2,0 Year 1998. Engine type = B5202S

He bought this car second handed and he does always his small maintenance by himself. He done this the first time a few weeks ago since he felt it was time to change oil etc... Now, the SRL (service reminder lamp) light has to be resetted.

For this, we found a few procedures to do this but none of them works. The SRL light still comes on after ignition. He also heared a rumour that this can't be done (restting the SRL light) if you don't have access to an OBD system. This only should be the case of '98 type cars, on '97 and '99 type cars it should be possible to do this via the discribed procedure (key off, Press + hold trip button reset, etc....).

Can someone confirm this that it ain't possible via the normal procedure in

1998 type cars and that you need an OBD II system to reset?

Greetz,

Lange

Reply to
Lange

It is not possible on 96-99 Volvos without sending the right code through the ODB-II port.

See, for example,

"Lange" My friend drives a Volvo V70 2,0 Year 1998. Engine type = B5202S

Reply to
Robert Lutwak

Yes, it has to be done with a special OBDII Tool And for that, you need one of these:

Good Luck. Joe.

maintenance

Reply to
Joe landy

OOOOPS. The address seems to have got cut in half when I pasted it. It's item 7924723195 anyway. Cheerio. Joe.

95

Reply to
Joe landy

A special piece of black electrical tape cut just large enough to cover the light from your view is also suitable, and costs much less than the special tool.

Seriously, this is what I did three or four years ago, and been happy ever since. The light is only on for the first couple of minutes after starting the car anyway.

Joe landy wrote:

Reply to
Jim Carriere

I think that is a very silly option. The ECU on the car measures driving conditions, and calculates when the car needs a service. This is often earlier that the normal service interval. I carefully obeyed the service light on my V70 ,and it rewarded me with

250,000 un-eventful miles! It's your choice, but I'd recommend making use of the function. I'm not normally this much of a poofter, and would normally agree with your approach, but I think this function is a good example of 'useful technology' !! Drive safe. Joe.
Reply to
Joe landy

I've always figured that the service light is primarily a cynical ploy by the manufacturers to make more money, particulary if it is shortening the service interval.

Offered a secondhand car with the service light on, most people would walk away, so if you want to retain any residual value in your car you have to take it somewhere where they can turn the light out. To many people, this will mean a main dealer, keeping the money within the franchise.

On a nearly new car, it will have a major effect upon its value, and on an older car, it will make it prohibitively expensive to service, prompting people to consider trading in early.

I expect the increasing difficulty and cost of resetting is an expense many independent dealers could do without, and is certainly making owner servicing more problematic.

Previously, normal servicing has achieved this without a light. I doubt the longevity of the car was the objective.

Yo the pink pound!

Reply to
Stewart Hargrave

I think we can agree to somewhat agree and somewhat disagree :)

The light on my car (98 S70) illuminates 10,000 miles or 12 months after being reset. Not exactly high tech in my case. I'd rather ignore the light and regularly change my oil, filters, check the car over each time (I have cheap access to a lift), than pay someone to do that work for me or pay for the reset tool myself.

That and it really irks me that the next model year does not require a $200 tool to reset the light.

Joe landy wrote:

Reply to
Jim Carriere

I have to agree with Joe in this case. My wife drives the 1998 S70 and all I don't have to worry about services. She tells me when the light comes on and then I do the service. It helps that in my case that I have free access to the tool to reset the light, but I'd buy one if I didn't.

Reply to
Mike F

I have a '99 volvo S-70, and the service light is on. I thought about buying the reset tool, however at the below web site, they stated that it could be changed manually.

I called my wife and it did not seem to work, but I will try again this evening.

j.

93&NodeIDI12&RootIDb9 S/C&V70 Service Light Reset Procedure for 1999 & 2000 models

1) Turn the ignition switch to position I (off). 2) Only the SRS indicator light is illuminated on the dash panel. 3) This is a two handed process. While pressing the trip mileage reset button turn the ignition switch to position two. The service light will begin to flash in15 to 30 seconds, as soon as it flashes release the reset button. 4) Turn the igniti> I think we can agree to somewhat agree and somewhat disagree :)
Reply to
Say not the Struggle nought Availeth

She tried it again and it worked.

j.