Short Term Syn Tranny Lube Report

You all remember my nightmarish ordeal getting the fill plug out of the M47 tranny. The plan was to remoive both plugs and replace them, using synthetic tranny lube. Nowhere in my area sells the Redline product for the tranny so I bought the Mobil 1 product for this purpose.

With the drain plug out I swabbed out the bottom of the case to get out all the crud I could (that blackish/greyish slime) and with the left side of the car jacked up (and supported on a stand!) I overfilled the tranny just a bit which is said to help these boxes last a lot longer.

I took my first drive with the new fluid in the box. It was about 50 total miles with some mountain travel and I can say that the box goes in and out of gear noticeably smoother and with less effort now than before. I'll report back in 10 or 20 thousand miles.. ;-)

__ __ Randy & \ \/ /alerie's \__/olvos '90 245 Estate - '93 965 Estate "Shelby" & "Kate"

Reply to
Randy G.

Randy could you let me know at what mileage you changed the oil ion the M47 box please?

All the best, Peter.

700/900/90 Register Keeper, Volvo Owners Club (UK).
Reply to
Peter K L Milnes

190,300 I have only had the car three months (tomorrow to the day). Still shifts smooth and runs quietly.

__ __ Randy & \ \/ /alerie's \__/olvos '90 245 Estate - '93 965 Estate "Shelby" & "Kate"

Reply to
Randy G.

And, BTW, that is 190,300 MILES.. should have specified, but you probably figured that out anyway....

__ __ Randy & \ \/ /alerie's \__/olvos '90 245 Estate - '93 965 Estate "Shelby" & "Kate"

Reply to
Randy G.

Many thanks Randy. I asked because we recommend a fluid change for the AW30-40 (and AW30-43) autobox every 100,000 miles and it seems that a similar period would not do any harm to the M46/47/90 boxes which should ordinarily use Fully Synthetic ATF despite being manual boxes. Once again thanks for the information.