Should I use... ...on my new oil drain plug...?

Hello

I've purchased a Oil Temperature gauge for my 1991 Volvo 240. It came complete with sender, which seems to work when i hook it up to an ohmmeter and apply a cigarette lighter flame to it, it changes resistance. The sender is an oil drain plug, which replaces the stock oil drain plug, with a wire that hooks up to the Oil Temperature gauge. Should I use anti-seize stuff on the threads of my new oil drain plug (sender), as it seems to be copper/brass?

Thanks for consideration, Mehmet

Reply to
lucidlamp

Generally no, I've never heard of an oil drain plug siezing.

Reply to
James Sweet

James Sweet wrote in news:XSyXg.4445$HP.1208 @trndny08:

Hi James,

Thank you, I did'nt think so. I figured the metal of choice, copper/bronze, is more expensive than aluminum and other metals used throughout the engine, plus it has a good quality of conforming itself to the situation at hand (sealing itself), so to speak. Also I would think that metals using like alloys would attract (seize) easier than copper to aluminum, etc... Also the copper/bronze would have different oxidation characteristics... I guess the automotive engineers figured this out and made the oil drain plug fool proof.

Thanks again James, Mehmet

Reply to
lucidlamp

Well it isn't quite fool proof, they can be stripped out or crossthreaded if you aren't careful, mostly in the clumsy hands of quickie-lube type places. Clean the threads of both the plug and the oil pan, screw it in straight and tighten it to the correct torque, I just use my "calibrated hand" for this but a torque wrench is really a wise idea.

Reply to
James Sweet