side marker lights

Parts retailers say these are available for many Volvos with the Volvo nameplates just ahead of the front doors. The nameplates are supposed to be easy to snap out, and the lights fit into the hole in the fender. A wiring harness is required, and one can supposedly wire the extra lights as either parking lights or turn signals (I assume they hold single-filament bulbs). I understand that these are standard on European models. Since they're not required for American driving, but could provide valuable extra visibility, wouldn't it make sense to wire them into the switch-controlled front fog lights? I wonder if the same wiring harnesses would work.

Reply to
ccr

This seems a poor choice to me. If the car is parked on the side of the road, the side lights would be very important and the fog lights would not be on. I would use the parking light circuit or turn signals. Then if parking lights or 4-way emergency flashers were on, the side lights would be on also. That is the way they are wired in Europe and on some US cars.

Reply to
Stephen M. Henning

Check this site out for side marker info. They are easy to install.

Check this site out to buy the side marker kits. $15 per side marker only. $58 for the kit. 2 side markers and 2 harness kits.

BD

----------------------

visibility,

Reply to
BigDick

IPD or borton volvo sells a complete kit to wire them. With IPD as far as I know, you can leave on or make them operate with the turn signals. Word of warning - the side markers were not meant to be on all the time, and they can get too hot and melt the lens - I know from experience. Better to have them flash with the turn signals. If you put in LED ones though, you should have no problems - bulbs are too hot, LEDs are not.

visibility,

Reply to
Jeff Lesperance

supposed to

European side markers are on all the time - mine are.

Reply to
Geoff Pearson