Simple Math Question, gas cost per mile??

How do you calculate your gas cost per mile, given your miles per gallon and cost per gallon. What would be the arithmatic formula?

I am trying to decide wether to fly or drive a 937 miles trip...

Reply to
DL152279546231

In article , snipped-for-privacy@aol.com by DL152279546231 dropped his wrench, scratched his head and mumbled,

(miles/gallon)x($/gallon)=($/mile)

($/mile)x937miles= $ for the trip

Reply to
volvowrench

Divide 937 by MPG to get total fuel used

Multiply total fuel used by fuel cost per gallon to get total cost for trip

Divide total cost for trip by 937 to get cost per mile

example:

937 miles / 28mpg = 33.4 Gallons 33.4 x £3.40 = £113.56 £113.56 / 937 = £0.12 per mile

Hope this helps

Steve.

Reply to
Steve Rodgers

Cost Per Mile is (Cost Per Gallon) / (Miles Per Gallon)

Example:

20 miles per gallon $2.00 per gallon

Cost per mile is $2/20 or $0.10 per mile (10 cents per mile)

However the actual cost of operating a car is more.

Tires = at least $400 per 40,000 miles or 1 cent per mile. Routine maintenance = at least $100 per 5,000 miles or 2 cents per mile. (includes oil change & filter, rotate tires, and scheduled maintenance)

Most other expenses are fixed and not mileage dependant.

Reply to
Stephen M. Henning

My variable costs/mile for my 1995 Volvo 850 Turbo after 127000 miles is about 15 cents. This includes gasoline, tires, tune ups, maintenance and repairs.

Total cost per mile is about 40 cents (includes the above plus insurance and depreciation).

For whatever that was worth ......

Reply to
Me

Reply to
John Robertson

Thanks ALL

My wife says I shouldn't take the Volvo because the air doesn't work and it is hot in FL in April. My Mom said, 'YOU ARE NOT TAKING YOUR VOLVO!!!, I will pay to rent you a car.' She is concerned about the reliability (or rather with mine the lack of reliability) on such a long trip....

Be looking for some posts relating to my A/C controls (the round knob on

240's.)

Although, my Mom's offer sounds good she doesn't need to spend the money

Reply to
DL152279546231

WRONG!

($/gallon)/(miles/gallon)=($/mile)