Snow tires for the S60?

I've got an '01 S60 2.4. I'm in NY and this will be my first Winter with the car. I've got Michelin MXV4s on it now, and am considering going with Bridgestone Blizzak WS-50 or Dunlap WS M2 snows.

Both manufacturers strongly recommend fitting 4 snows, not 2. That's contrary to how I used to do this, but it's been a long time.

Any input on this? Or on the choice of tires? The Dunlap is a low-pro, but it's available in the necessary 195/65-15, so I'm not sure if it's suitable for the car. Car sees a mix of highway/local use.

Thanks. paul

Reply to
pb

I'm in Eastern PA, and I leave the MXV4s on all winter. They seem to work out pretty well. I haven't gotten stuck in during the two winters that I've owned my S60.

Charlie

Reply to
CD

That's what I've done for years now with other cars, but the manual and my neighbor said I would need snows. I would love to avoid getting the snows. Maybe I'll hold off and see how it behaves in snow (I was trying to avoid the 1st snow rush).

Thanks, Paul

Reply to
pb

I put Blizzak's on my 2000 S40 and I am very glad I did. I live in NW Indiana so our winters aren't too bad, but we tend to get some pretty heavy lake effect snow. The car handles much better in snow compared to all season tires. The big plus for me is that you can now get the full life out of your tires. The first winter I had the car, I had to replace the MXV's even though they had about 25% tread left because I couldn't get up the hill in my subdivision with 6" of snow on the ground. I basically wasted 1/4 of the tire. What I did was put the snows on the 15" Volvo rims and got a nice set of aftermarket 16" rims and tires for summer.

Reply to
Steve Bernth

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Good way to go. Unfortunately my MXVs are in good shape, and I'm not sure how long I'm going to keep the car. But if the first snow convinces me I need snows, I'll keep this strategy in mind.

Paul

Reply to
pb

Going All-Season would be my first inclination under those circumstances. But the quandary is that my MXVs are still quite good. Thanks for the input.

Paul

Reply to
pb

Reply to