some help with a 2000 s80 front suspension knock please

hi

if i take the small plastic cap off the top of my s80 front suspension rod/nut under the bonnet, there is some slight play on the rod if i push the car down on the wing, i have removed the top nut, and tried to tighten the lower cross shaped nut beneath , but it all seems tight enough.and if i remove this nut the rod also seems to move within the hole in the top rubber mounting.

been told by local dealer this is a common fault, and costs a furtune to fix, has any one else had this fault?

and is there another fix.

colin

Reply to
gravedigger

Sounds like a control arm or tie rod problem. My mechanic would recommend replacing parts on both sides for symmetrical handling/wear, and you'll need an alignment afterwards.

If you're moderately mechanical you can do the work yourself and then send out for the alignment.

Reply to
Wooly

Reply to
gravedigger