Spark plug torque question

Hello...

RE: 2000 C70 Convertible.

When replacing spark plugs, how critical is the torque?

Reason, at 75k it's time to replace the plugs, which should be fairly straight forward. However, I do not own a torque tensioner, just a ratchet and plug adapter.

I'd hate to buy a tool I'd never use again...if that critical, then for $10 guess I'd better go for it??

Reply to
Uncle Vinnie

My sources show that your plugs are the "gasket" type, and the proper installation is finger tight, plus another 1/2 to 2/3 of a turn.

A torque wrench is still handy for all the other parts on your car.

Reply to
MasterBlaster

Thank you.. that I can most likely judge... I do not do all that much on the car.. mostly basics... Plugs are right on top, one at a time can't be too bad... I've done them on much older cars, as well as small engines (gapping, etc..)....

It just seems simple enough for me to do, at a much lower cost than a shop..and it needs to get done...

Thank you!

MasterBlaster wrote:

Reply to
Uncle Vinnie

Yeah it's not difficult. I do recommend a bit of anti-seize compound on the threads, doesn't take much, just a little dab. It's steel threads in an aluminum cylinder head so you have to be careful not to get it crossthreaded or over-tighten it, you can strip the threads right out of the head.

If you're not certain, you can pick up a cheap but usable torque wrench for under $20, you're still saving money over having a shop do it. You might borrow one from a friend or neighbor too.

Reply to
James Sweet

Make sure your plugs are spotless with no nicks or burrs and use a copper of graphite agent on the threads so they are easy to get out next time .

Reply to
Jon Robertson

Thank you all! They need to get done, for sure... 75k, getting 'rough'...

J> Make sure your plugs are spotless with no nicks or burrs and use a

Reply to
Uncle Vinnie

...if you're not done already. Some chain auto parts have these tools for loan. You pay full retail for the tool but when you return it, they give you all your money back. (AutoZone does this, anyway)

Reply to
clay

I'm not so sure it is the plugs that are causing the roughness. 75K is a long time to go on one set, but I do find plugs are pretty well made theses days.

I don't know your car but the main problems with sparkers are;

  1. Dirt outside and inside causing electrical leakage, mostly can be cleaned along with plug leads and coil packs. Most modern engines are very good, my partners 323i has had the same set of plugs since purchase
5-10 years ago. It too is rougher but I doubt its because of plugs.

  1. Bits break off, seems very rare if engine is operating correctly and plugs are of good quality.

  2. Gaps widen out, can easily be regapped.

I used to be very diligent with my plugs, regular cleaning, replacement etc, but I havn't found any difference just leaving them alone. The Engines still get rougher with miles probably due to bearing/piston ring wear /valve sealing face etc.

-- Tony

Reply to
Tony

it used to be plugs, points & condenser -- sometimes a coil. now its connections, just like a 'puter.

running rough is not something to expect in the first 10 yrs. new plugs after 75k is overdue (ok iridium's are supposed to last 100k, but platinum only 50k.)

you have either a b5234 or a b5244 but there are letters & #s after that which tell the whole story. look @ your vin & post the 6th &7th digits. then i will be able to give a more complete answer.

try using premium. on race fuel my r purrrrs.

oh the torque is 17 nm.

Reply to
Richard W Langbauer
53 are the VIN Digits.. as far as I know, I have the B5234 T3. I bought the car used a few years ago (long story, don't ask) and don't thing the plugs have been changed.. not since I have it anyway...

The car is now idling roughly, check engine light started to blink, and now is solid.. c/b bad gas but I added Super... guess I have to get thru the tank... it almost at times feel as if it is going to stall.. but after a while of warming up and driving, drives fine.. it's at an idle, stop, etc, it seems to want to stall, but doesn't...

Hence why I was th> >

Reply to
Uncle Vinnie

still replace the plugs (i like the new NGK's & they will work w/ your engine) . the ce light changes everything. grab an OBDII reader! send me the error codes. i think i know what's going wrong but i learned long ago that Myst (my r) is smarter than i am. your car is running rough because a sensor has failed. fuel is weird. your engine, which has an ht wants @ least 94 octane. mine wants 108 she's luckily to get

97, but she will run on wet beer farts. your ecu is re programmable. i know people, in the Netherlands, which can reprogram to accommodate your driving style.
Reply to
Richard W Langbauer

Well... I have cheated lately... we have this thing called a recession going on, so I have indeed resorted to regular... I topped it off with premium..

I don't have an OB but can certainly get one... I understand some of the local shops - Pep, etc, will let your borrow one... sensor makes sense too... I will get over there as soon as I can and report back.. thank you for your help.. I appreciate it.. if it IS a sensor, is it hard to get to?

Thanks aga> >

Reply to
Uncle Vinnie

the answers are dollars & pennies. & yes & no.

most vehicles can't use premium -- yours can. mpg goes up you save money.

Myst (my r) has sensors everywhere. some are easy to get to, one is in the middle of an explosive chamber. get an error code! you can decode them online. it's all i will do -- of course i tend to know where things are in something other than cyberspace.

Reply to
Richard W Langbauer

I find that mine are usually pretty well worn after about 50K. The electrodes get all rounded, in extreme cases the ground electrode gets noticeably smaller from erosion. That said, I've rarely noticed much difference in performance after replacement but I've never run a set 75K either.

Reply to
James Sweet

Reply to
Uncle Vinnie

Reply to
Richard W Langbauer

Richard, what I'll do is drive it down, then fill with super...

may take a few days.. then, get and OBDII unit.. (if I buy one, I may as well get one that can read my wife's 09 Prius as well.... CAN... (the U480 costs about $40.. )

Will keep you posted and thank you for your help!

Richard W Langbauer wrote:

Reply to
Uncle Vinnie

Reply to
Jon Robertson

Fancy spark plugs are a waste of time. I've been running the cheap NGK plugs for years and they've never given me any trouble at all.

Reply to
James Sweet

i'm cheaper. i also value my time & the environment. the amortized cost of iridium's is lower unless you don't think you'll have your Volvo for 100k. the iridium also comes from trashed catalytic converters destined for the landfill, while other metals are often strip mined.

as for improving performance w/ a turbo. maybe -- probably not. it's counter intuitive but iridium's spark colder than other plugs. good for my r but she is dangerously close to dieseling.

Reply to
Richard W Langbauer