Speedo question

I am emigrating to the US from Canada and I want to bring my beloved 98 V70 with me. In order to meet the Dept of Motor Vehicle regulations my car needs the speedo to read in MPH whereas right now it only read KPH. Is there an easy fix i.e.: sticker to cover the metric reading or do I need to replace the speedo?

Reply to
Rob

If it only has one scale you have to replace the speedometer. The car is old enough though that you can probably find a used instrument cluster at a salvage yard fairly inexpensively.

Odd though, I've seen several older Canadian spec Volvos in the US that still had the metric speedo.

Reply to
James Sweet

If it reads both that it reads MPH. Does it say anywhere that it must read MPH only? I am in Canada and have recently bought 940 that originated in US. It has MPH (larger) and KPH scales.

Regards,

Boris Mohar

void _-void-_ in the obvious place

Reply to
Boris Mohar

Thanks, I guess I will need to visit the Volvo graveyard in Guelph Ontario to get a replacement and swap it out.

Mine only read Metric, it may just be a rule in New York

Reply to
Rob

For whatever reason, Volvo metric speedometers only have metric on them. The MPH speedometers have both, so you'll probably have to visit a salvage yard in the US to find a MPH speedo.

Reply to
James Sweet

Reply to
Jon Robertson

Starting in '86 Volvo switched to an electronic speedometer. It's possible to multiply the pulses from the speed sensor I suppose.

Reply to
James Sweet