speedometer not working

Hello

Several months ago I had to replace the clutch in my 1987 DL-240. Volvo. I didn't catch it immediately, but then I realized my speedometer and odometer were not working.

I thought maybe I'd forgotten to connect a cable or something. So I climbed back underneath but I couldn't find any cable or other hook ups.

I did see a couple wires that I did not connect. I felt around and noticed there was two connectors on top of the transmission. I couldn't see which wire would go to which one, so I was afraid to connect them up at the time and they are still not connected at this time.

My question is, are these wires related to my speedometer and odometer problem. I don't have a factory manual just a cheesy Chilton manual which covers several years and really doesn't show any great detail on any one model if you what I mean. if they are the problem to my speedometer and odometer problem, the next question does it matter which one hooks to which connector as I really can't see which one goes where. they're both the same size and look the same. I wasn't able to tell if the wires were different colors, but I would think they would be.

If anyone can shed some light on this problem, I'd really appreciate it. With the price for gas as it is and I am trying to determine whether I'm getting the same gas mileage or not. Plus I can't measure anything when someone says go three tenths of a mile and turn left I can only guess how far I'm driving.

Thanks in advance

Reply to
Bacchus

"Bacchus" skrev i en meddelelse news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

If you have changed the clutch, You must have removed the speedometer cable, so I assume you know where that is. It might not have been properly connected. The Back up light switch is located on the transmission left side at the top. This switch has to poles but it doesn't matter which wire goes where. If you checked you would properly not have back up light a the moment.

Regards

Per Hauge

Reply to
Per Hauge-Nielsen

So it is a cable!, "crapahoe" that is indian for a bad word. I didn't see a cable when I was down there, and that was exactly what I was looking to find.

I will get my rear end back under there and find that cable

Thanks for the heads up William

Reply to
Bacchus

Actually I read your post as question about if the two wires could be connected with the speedometer. I believe they are as I said for Back up light, but regarding the speedometer it could also be electric but iin that case the connector would be on the rear axel on top of differential housing. I'm not aware of if any model have ever had a speedometer sensor at the transmission, but it could be.

Try having a look at the rear axel too. But in either case the Back up light switch is definetely on the transmission.

Regards

Per Hauge

"Bacchus" skrev i en meddelelse news: snipped-for-privacy@SPAMSAVERoperamail.com...

Reply to
Per Hauge-Nielsen

its raining and cold in northern calif at the moment but will check things out as soon as I get a dry day.

Reply to
Bacchus

In '87 the 240 had an electronic speedometer, so no cable. Look at the wires coming off the diff cover and follow them up into the trunk.

Reply to
Mike F