Speedometer problems with my 1992 940 GL

When I bought the car the speedometer didn't work. I sent it in for repair. Speedometer Service Co. fixed it but after installation it will work correctly for a few seconds, then peg the needle, then settle back to no reading at all. The odometer works fine as does the tripmeter. So I don't think it's the sending unit. I sent it back to be checked and have been told it works fine on the bench.

I'm not the one taking it in and out of my car. That's done by a local Volvo GOD (IMHO)! So it's not my fumble fingered installation!

A little unimportant background info. From my understanding. For a few years ('91-'93 I think) a division of Honda made the 940 speedometers. These are known for failing... Later improved models are not interchangeable. The "good" news is you can get a fresh new one from Volvo for $730 US!

Anyone have any similar experience or ideas

Thanks

Reply to
Don b.

Send it back to the place that fixed it, if the odo works then the speedo is still broken.

Reply to
James Sweet

It's there now. I'm told it has 100 miles on the bench with no problems. It's being rechecked for the second time.

Reply to
don b.

there are two electrolytic capacitors on the circuit board for the speedometer... When mine stopped working about a year ago, I unsoldered them and replaced them with some from my junk box (new ones might cost a dollar or so)... worked fine since then! ('89 240 wagon)...

Reply to
Perry Noid

I fixed the problem with my wifes speedo I set it so it looks like shes doing more than she is had only one ticket since .I run just under the speed limit so the cops cant get me but they have still tried .Once I tell them I won the first case against a radar cop in Australia they seem to lose interest as well I always carry a tape recorder .Less than 2 miles an hour over the limit is a large fine 3klms and hour here as well they put up road spped indicators which are under the true speed catching many out .The latest is speed cameras in Rubbish bins .

Reply to
John Robertson

That's weird, 10 years of driving Volvos and I've been pulled over exactly once in my life, and it was for a burned out license plate light in a rural area. I swear they're invisible to cops in the US, I don't drive particularly slow either.

Reply to
James Sweet

Reply to
Someone

Speaking of speed cameras, the other day I saw a M-B with a sort of transparent plastic over the rear licence plate. It worked flawlessly. From 0-10 feet from the plate, everything was clear and readable, but as soon as you went further then 10 feet, it gradually and quickly became invisible (the numbers on the plate, that is).

I wish I could have stopped him and asked him where he got it. I've never seen another car with such an effective plastic to hide your plate.

If any>I fixed the problem with my wifes speedo I set it so it looks like shes

Reply to
Someone

I'm not sure everyone has seen the TV show Myth busters but they did one on all these methods of obscuring a tag. Not one of them worked against the camera. The number was clear on every photo. Perhaps because the camera uses a strobe...

Reply to
don b.

By the way. My speedometer problem on my '92 944 (that this post was originally about) is as bad as ever.

To date I have had the speedometer in the repair facility twice. They assure me it's done 100 simulated miles on the bench without a tick.

I have tried a new replacement sensor on the differential with no change in performance. Still wildly erratic.

I've rewired the last 16 inches of the connecting wiring harness to the speedometer sensor. Since it's a known problem with the insulation going bad from exposure.

No change. don

Reply to
don b.

That's so weird, there's really nothing to the speedo wiring, just a pair of wires going back to the sender, one pin on the speedo is power from the fuse box, one is ground, and the other goes to the sensor. Makes me wonder if the speedo is picking up electrical noise. Can you get a junkyard speedo just to see if it works?

Reply to
James Sweet

had speedometer problem in my '89 240 a year or so ago... from the circuit diagram, I noticed there are two electrolytic capacitors on the board. One is across the + and - power lines, so acts as a noise filter. The other apparently "integrates" the pulses from the differential. I simply replaced both of them with same-value caps and no more problem!

even at RadioShack, the caps shouldn't be more than a couple bucks...

Reply to
Perry Noid

Good old Victoria..the most overgoverned overtaxed overrated state in Australia (yet with inept police), and only just behind NSW for having the most incompetent government (well actually behind NSW and Kevin Dud). I share your pain John .

John

Reply to
John Smith