speedometer removel

i have a j plate 940gl.a bulb has blowen on the speedometer and needs replacing.on the plastic surround in front of the clocks there two rectangle holes either side of the clocks.pushing a screwdriver in these pushes against a spring ,but the trim will not come out no matter how hard i pull on it.if i can get this trim off what are the next steps to get to the bulbs on the clocks.

Reply to
wolves

i recently had the speedometer in my '91 940T fo bad. we found a used replacement (repair is not an option for '91-'92) but the speedometer tech was unable to get the speedo housing out. the mechanic at my repair shop had a hard time achieving both removal and installation.

you will need to pay to have this fixed.

Reply to
Arthur Wouk

Work a stiff putty knife between the aluminum trim and the dash all around the circumference of the opening to unstick it. Then use the putty knife as a lever on either side as you depress the spring latches it will come out with what seems to be unreasonable effort. Then remove the two screws on either side that hold the frame that holds the trim. Remove the four screws located in each corner that hold the cluster in place. Work the cluster out through the frame. Keep one hand behind to pull and stretch the harness as necessary. Each plug on the back is unique to its location. When you pop off the security tab for the speedometer connector be careful. This is the only true edge connector on the car and the pc board can get very brittle over time. Once all the wires are free replace bulbs to your hearts content.

If your cluster has never been out before, the first time removal is the worst. If you have to remove it again it's nowhere near as much trouble.

Bob

Reply to
User