Spray on dye for leather seats

Has anyone tried this stuff. I want to change my tan interior to black. I got this spray on dye from a leather shop. I was wondering if this stuff holds up very well. In addition, is there a better alternative. Also, is there a leather prep that anyone can recommend. I bought some from the leather store. It cost like 6 bucks for 4 onces. The evaporating rate on that stuff was fantastic. I mean after I opened the bottle, it started evaporating faster then I could use it. I'm thinking of making my car seats a two toned color. Like black where you sit and the back, and leave the tan everywhere else. Any adivice you guys could give me would be great.

Reply to
austjeremy

I wouldn't put much trust into it coming out nice. What car is this? Your best bet is probably to find black interior parts in a junkyard. Plastic can be painted and looks good but leather I think the stuff wouldn't hold up well to use.

Reply to
James Sweet

Can't say anything good or bad about your ideas, but I just finished restoring a '73 1800ES ( It's for sale by the way).

The leather seats in it were hard as cardboard, and they needed dying. I did some research ( Google research that is), and found Leatherique cleaners, conditioners and dyes.

The conditioner is really good, but may take a few applications. My seats are really soft now.

Then I cleaned them and used the Leatherique dye, and after a year or so, they still look great.

I have no affiliation with Leatherique, just really like the stuff.

Ron

Ron/Champ 6

1963 8E5 Champ (Champ 6) 1995 VW Passat (Vanilla..yuk) 1994 Volvo 850 (Tilley) 1973 Volvo 1800 ES (Hyacinth Bucket)
Reply to
Ron

I dyed a 164 interior many years ago. It isn't that hard, especially if you remove the pieces from the car, but the solvents used are definitely carcinogens. I wouldn't do it again.

Reply to
mj

Note that, in the case of 2-series at least, the seats have lether facings (the bits you sit on) and vinyl around the edges and backs. You may find that the leather colour won't stick to the vinyl or will colour it differently.

If the parts you want to colour line up with which bits are leather, this shouldn't be a problem.

Reply to
Athol