Squeaky Clutch

I have a mystery! my clutch is squeaking and I am at a loss?

I bought the car second hand with 60,000 miles on it and the clutch was squeaking then when ever I pressed down on it - all it did was annoy me as its not a nice noise but it didn't cause any trouble.

I took it back to the place I bought it and they sprayed the clutch pedal with WD40 and it seemed to fix it for a few weeks but then it started squeaking again but it didn't in any way seem to cause any problems so I ignored it.

At about 110,000 miles my clutch went so it was replaced but it STILL squeaked.

At about 120,000 miles my gearbox had it and I had a reconditioned one and another new clutch fitted ( I don't know if I needed a new clutch but it was a different garage to the one that put the clutch in so maybe they did it anyway to make some more money - or maybe it was damaged when the gearbox failed - I don't know)

BUT my clutch stopped squeaking! now at around 160,000 miles it has started squeaking again.

What is going on? Do I have a mouse living next to my engine? any ideas would be appreciated - Is it a sign of impending doom for my clutch or something else? I lasted with a squeaky clutch some 60,000 miles with no problems but the fact it didn't stop when I had a new clutch put in may mean it isn't the actual clutch? only a complete change of my gearbox and clutch seemed to stop it!

Whats the noise? what does it mean? I am at a loss!

Reply to
Spinstorm

I forgot to mention its a 1998 S40 2 Litre with 161,000 miles on it! (if that matters?)

Reply to
Spinstorm

WD-40 is not a lubricant, it's mostly kerosene and will just wash around some of the old lube. Seeing someone spray it on a squeaking item is an immediate tipoff that they don't know what they're doing.

That's because the squeak isn't associated with the clutch itself, it's the clutch pedal linkage under the dash.

Nice garage; they lubed the linkage for you.

Whatever they lubed the linkage with dried out (probably a spray oil) and it needs to be re-lubed. You can get a can of spray grease like white lithium and just spray every place where there's a pivot in the linkage. That'll get the squeak and a lot of other stuff under the dash. Or, you can get a tube of white lithium grease and apply it directly to the pivots. It'll help if you have someone working the pedal while you apply the grease, to ensure better distribution.

Or, you can go to a garage and ask them to re-lube your clutch linkage with grease. Grease will last much longer than spray oil.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Heston

Thanks for the info!

so you are saying its no big deal and if I leave it all that happens is it makes a funny noise?

Where would I apply the lubricant if I was doing it myself seeing as I don't actually know where the clutch is in the engine area?

Thanks.

Reply to
Spinstorm

Sure.

Yes, it's not affecting the cars' operation at all.

Not in the engine area, under the dash--the squeaking is from the linkages used by the clutch pedal. Nothing you do in the engine compartment will affect the squeak.

Look under the dashboard, where the clutch pedal is--the pedal will have at least two pivot points, one at the top of the arm the pedal is mounted on, and one somewhere in the middle. Lube those, and your squeak will probably vanish. There will be an arm extending from the center pivot towards the firewall; there may be a pivot point on the forward end, if so, lube it.

You're welcome.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Heston